1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

DAY 1 (2nd Time)

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by fbcoach, Dec 29, 2016.

1. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

I am starting the SEP again....for the 2nd time. The first time, I was beginning to see some success, then I became really stressed out over some things in my 19yr old son's life and I couldn't get back on track. By then, Football season had started, and I was under a great deal of stress. Long story short....we had a successful season, and I will be retired on January 5th. Knowing I would be retiring helped to relieve some stress, but now I am a little nervous about it. I have been in more pain the last few weeks than normal. I just started the SEP today, so I am hoping to get back on track. I understand the concepts about the program. It is just a matter of reprogramming my brain. Here's to a HAPPY AND PAIN-FREE NEW YEAR to everyone here!

AC45 likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi fbcoach,
    I recall you were making some progress at this awhile back. Welcome back! Did you check out the TMS Recovery Program? Forest thinks it is the finest collection of learning at the Wiki. You might try this, if you haven't, then come right back to the SEP. Good luck in your work.
    Andy B

Saoirse likes this.
  3. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Thanks Andy. I really appreciated all your support last time I was here. Yes....I have checked Alan Gordon's Recovery Program out a little. I will look into it more closely.
    I came over a lot of stress this past summer, then it was amplified when Football Season had started. I knew what I had to do, so I went on auto-pilot. This is my way of separating myself from my emotions and inner chatter. I basically cut myself off from my emotions, then run on adrenalin, allowing my insecurities and anxieties to push me to higher levels of success. I have always dealt with stress like this, but in the end, it leaves me with feelings of emptiness. Not saying this to brag, but I just led our Team to their second State Championship in a row, and I could not really take it in and enjoy it. We have won 5 in the past 10 years, and I can recall only one that I actually enjoyed. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate how hard my Players work for me, and the success I have been allowed to accomplish, but it is the compulsiveness and my insecurities that drive my TMS. Actually, it is my fears of not being able to succeed or do things that drive my TMS.
    Anyway, I am aware that it is my fears and anxieties that keep me in the cycle. I have taken steps to overcome this in my own way. I just finished equipping my own home gym (even though I love Strength Training, I become very apprehensive, because of my fears of overtraining, or even training exasperating my pain). I started a new training cycle, including heavy Deadlifts, etc. Og course at the beginning of the week, I was in major pain, then decided to push thru. I was in extreme pain, then something clicked yesterday, and it dawned on me what was causing my pain....the fear of heavy lifting and deadlifts. Once I realized this, my pain really diminished. I am getting ready to do heavy deadlifts again today, and I feel confident. That just amazes me, how powerful our unconscious brain can be. It seems for me, it is overcoming my fear of pain is driving my TMS. The more confident I become with myself, the better I feel.
    Anyway, sorry to go on and on, but I feel as if I am remembering what was helping so much the last time I did the SEP, and this has helped me tremendously. I hope this can help others in some way. I sincerely believe that our fears are a major contributor to TMS.
    Again, thank you Andy for your support.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, fbcoach. I think it is normal to feel some stress and anxiety because you have been a very conscientious teacher and football coach and now am nearing retirement. I think perhaps you should look into some volunteer coaching, football in season, and other sports. I think that would give you a positive focus. I believe in living in the present but also preparing for the future.

I am confident you are going to be well again. Put belief in TMS healing in place of fear.

Happy New Year!

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Wonderful breakthrough which I think is inspiring and educational for many others! This, I notice is connected to your "fear of not being able to succeed." That is, fear is a commonality?

6. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Welcome back and well done you for making the decision to do it. This is not an easy challenge to undertake but there is only so much we can take and how I yearn for quality of life so like you I am giving it my best shot . Good luck.

7. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt,
    I got that covered. I have a lot of home projects I want to do first, then start a Personal Training Business, Substitite Teaching, and I will definitely be Coach Football somewhere. Thanks again for your support.

8. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Good luck to you as well Saoirse, I am sure you will succeed as long as you stay with it,

Saoirse likes this.
  9. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Yes..you're exactly right Andy. Again, Thanks

10. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Hi Saoirse,
    I saw you replied to "the latest success story, so I thought I would share something with you here, instead of cluttering their thread. I too, suffer from a lot of anxiety, but I hide it well by staying busy. It has caused me lots of long sleepless nights, and this exasperates my feelings of pain. It has become a cycle. On nights that I sleep well (very few), I feel so much better the next day. Sleep is important, but worrying about not sleeping is worse. Also, realizing what is causing my anxieties helps me to put them n a better perspective. There really are very, very few things to worry about in life. For me, his is one of the keys to overcoming my TMS symptoms. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in experiencing "anxiety". In fact, my guess is that anyone who has TMS symptoms has "anxiety".