1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Daily reminders when symptoms reappear?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Zane0, May 31, 2017.

1. Zane0

Zane0 Newcomer

Hi Everyone,

After reading today's piece (Day 3) I discovered that I still have some work to do to fully accept the TMS diagnosis. It's like on an intellectual, conscious level I don't have any doubts. But on an emotional level, I have reflexes like "my right arm is hurting more right now - I need to go for a massage!". It's my first reaction unfortunately.

Do you have any tips on how to respond when the symptoms reappear? Like some quick reminders or perhaps "mantra" to break these habits? I could not yet find something useful. I would be grateful for suggestions.

Cheers

Zane

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I had severe back pain and it went away through the SEProgram. I told myself a mantra" "My pain is not structural. It's YMS from my emotions."

3. Zane0

Zane0 Newcomer

I think Alan Gordon had a suggestion to completely ignore the pain - and think "I don't give a s%it about it" - maybe a bit vulgar, but quite emotional I think.

Does anyone have other ideas?

BTW I think such daily mantras can be VERY suggestive and powerful. I remember when I was at School and learning for my entry exams - I used to constantly say to myself "biology, chemistry! biology chemistry! .... " etc - and it really helped get mobilized, learn and pass the exams :)

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

With each step I took (dealing with foot pain) I would gently say "stop the foot pain; I'm willing to feel my emotions." I feel this kind of connection with the process is good medicine!

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Between Walt and I and you, ZaneO I think we suggest a nuanced platter of choices!

6. If 6 was 9

If 6 was 9 Peer Supporter

Hi Zane, did you read Dr Sarno's book Healing Back Pain?
    In it he provides a list of 12 daily reminders. They're ostensibly for the back, but they can be altered to refer to any type of chronic pain.
    I found meditating on them for 90 seconds each really helped (made a total of 18 minutes, not too big a slice out of the day).
    Here they are below as I remember them:

1. The pain is from TMS, not from a structural abnormality.
    2. The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation.
    3. TMS is a harmless condition that is caused by my repressed emotions.
    4. The principal emotion is my repressed anger.
    5. TMS only exists to distract my attention from the emotions.
    6. Because my back (or whatever part of the body in pain) is basically normal, there is nothing to fear.
    7. Therefore physical activity is not dangerous.
    8. And I must resume all normal physical activity.
    9. I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain.
    10. I will shift my attention from the pain to the emotional issues.
    11. I intend to be the one in control, not my subconscious mind.
    12. I must think psychological at all times, not physical.

You'll find some you will agree with straight up, while others will take longer to see the truth. Or suddenly you'll get what is meant by it. Really try to feel the truth and believe it. If you do it in a relaxed state, your subconcious will start to believe this as well and your symptoms will start to disappear. I started off reading them from a list but after about a week or two I knew them by heart.

Good luck!

7. Betsy4ever

Betsy4ever New Member

Zane you have to stay strong to rightly address the symptoms. Like Walt and Andy said you have to have some mantra to work it out.

8. Zane0

Zane0 Newcomer

Hi, thank you all for the suggestions!

Now I am back to work after a medical leave and that means back to my 14+ activity day (work, child care, work, home, work etc) and I find it hard to think of my emotions. It's just rather the stress of keeping moving and the problems on hand.

But I find the phrase of taking to my mind "I know what you ARE DOING" to be the most effective yet.

I'll try with Dr Sarno's 12 reminders now as well :)