1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

daily reminders for the TMS personality

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by PainNoMore, Jun 2, 2017.

1. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

after reading The Divided Mind, journaling, and meditating I was about 80% well. by that time it became clear to me that current stressors and my TMS personality were big contributors to my pain. over time i cobbled together a set of daily reminders that i put on my google docs app so i could get to it at any time. it's been very helpful and it's brought me to about 95% healed. i think the last 5% or so will happen as my "reconditioning" continues. here's my list:

be nice to myself

lower expectations of myself....and others

less chasing after....being more content

less clinging....more letting go

meditating often

i got the be nice to myself from Alan Gordon's program. basically it means back off on the self criticism and ease up on self induced pressure.

the lowering expectations point is just to remind myself that i actually DO measure up. something i've always struggled with. and it led me to holding others up to unreasonable expectations as well.

focusing on being more content really helps with settling down my soul and realizing how much God has blessed me.

less clinging is something i wish/hope/plan on getting a lot better at. clinging to things is really try to control things and i've come to realize how little we have actual control of. everything changes so much so just let go man :D

the more i meditate the more i can recognize when i need to put these things in practice. and it's very calming for the soul.

this list has helped me a lot and maybe it can help some of you. we're all different so most likely you will have to put together your own plan/list. good luck.

JanAtheCPA, Ellen and nick like this.
  2. Renate

Renate Peer Supporter

Hi PainNoMore,

I like your nickname! Thank you so much for your daily reminders! These are exactly the things I'm struggling with.
    I will print them and hang them on my kitchen door!
    How did you get the expectations to heal under your control? Since 6,5 years I must spend most of the time on my couch because of my foot pain and I want so much to get better.....