1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19, TMS, and Immune System

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MindMood, Apr 13, 2020.

1. MindMood

MindMood New Member

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I started a thread about my coronavirus symptoms.

I've been sick for 4 weeks now, and I'm fairly certain that it is coronavirus. I'm basing this on my symptoms and feedback from my doctor. I have not been tested as my symptoms have not been life threatening.

TMS has affected my immune system. I have had symptoms of an autoimmune disease for a while, including: chronic fatigue, extremely dry eyes, IBS, and low-grade fever. I saw a rheumatologist last summer. He did not find evidence of an active autoimmune disease, but he did find that I had an unusually high count of rheumatoid arthritis antibodies.

Can anybody else speak to the impact to the immune system caused by TMS - ether from experience and/or as a practitioner? And perhaps thoughts on how this may impact the way that a TMS-prone individual is affected if infected with coronavirus?

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have not been following her much, but I believe Shannon Harvey recovered from autoimmune disease by mindbody approach : https://theconnection.tv/ (The Connection: Mind Your Body)
    Also, Sarno mentioned in the Mindbody Prescription couple conditions that fall under autoimmune category: Lyme's and something else that I don't remember.

MindMood likes this.
  3. Avnita Suri

Avnita Suri Peer Supporter

Hi MindMood

I wouldn't give it too much thought or worry about your immune system being compromised. From a mind / body perspective I know you can boost your immune system by affirmations and thoughts. Keep saying to yourself, "I am strong", "I'll be fine" - things that feel good to you. You see the more you FEAR the virus and its symptoms the more likely you'll get the symptoms and then get them bad. Do meditations, breathing exercises, physical exercises (whatever you can manage given the current climate).
    You can also boost it with supplements like Vit C, D and A (that's what I've heard, but that's not my expertise).
    The main thing I suggest is that you work through your worries, fear, limiting beliefs as your symptoms show up. There's a lot more to this if you want to go into detail, but definitely try not to worry too much.
    Not sure if I've answered your question correctly. If not, just say.
    Pls use this info responsibly; if you feel your symptoms worsening just see the medical doctor.

4. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Howdy...I have basically turned allergies off through TMS treatment. I started having allergy symptoms in my home after not having them be a problem for years. I got tested and a bunch of stuff showed up. The doctor thought dust mites was my most likely cause. But, after doing the SEP program, it all went away. I even once had a crazy allergy flare up when I went to a vacation cabin and somebody brought a new dog there (I was stressed about the vacation). I was sneezing like crazy and my throat was all scratchy after 30 minutes in the house. I went on a walk for ten minutes and did some TMS exercises, came back, and was fine for the next five days of the trip.

Regarding Coronavirus, I agree with Avnita in that I don't think you have anything extra to fear compared to a non-TMS sufferer. Yes, TMS symptoms can produce small immune markers. For me, despite having really bad Chronic Fatigue and IBS symptoms, the only thing that ever showed up on a test was a slightly elevated IgE (allergy marker). However, this does not automatically mean your immune system is actually compromised in some way. I think the biggest problem with TMS and Coronavirus is that our brains are always on the lookout for triggers. As soon as the shutdown started in my state, I felt on and off mild cold symptoms for almost a week. After that went away, I read a story about asthma being one of the worrisome pre-existing conditions. Despite not having asthma symptoms for about twenty years, my breathing felt short on and off for a few days. It's all very annoying when you have TMS, but I don't think you are in more physical danger than the average person.

Balsa11, TG957 and MindMood like this.
  5. MindMood

MindMood New Member

Avnita Suri likes this.
  6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You are very welcome! Best of luck!

MindMood and Avnita Suri like this.
  7. Avnita Suri

8. Avnita Suri

@ssxl4000, you are welcome. Sounds like you're doing GREAT - not many people would get that far in making those connections (with your life situations). Most carry on thinking that something is wrong with them.
    I agree with you - just because something "wrong" is found, doesn't mean you'll function at a poor state. I was also getting those cold-like symptoms since lockdown. I could quite easily work through the emotional things, but get lazy myself. Also, I think all humans have TMS in on one or other; it's a case of finding the connections as to WHY the symptoms are happening.

MindMood likes this.
  9. Avnita Suri

10. Avnita Suri

You're welcome! :) Doing great and keep going. We all need support. xx

MindMood likes this.
  11. samuelp180

samuelp180 Peer Supporter

Hi, I know what it is because I have the same thing. The medical community calls in cfs and it is Tms. I’m basically recovered right now after 6 months.

jennyc19 and TG957 like this.