1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

couple of weeks into my TMS journey.. Need advi ce

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by IndiMarshall, Jun 24, 2015.

1. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

I am 30 yr old male.. I am battling back pain at the moment. I have very little herniation a L4-L5 & L5-S1 pressing the thecal sac. There is no evidence of Nerve impingement yet my symptoms are as good as Nerve impingment. I had been through all the traditional treatments. All docs told me I am not a surgical case nor my issue is serious on scans.. I am bedridden before I started Reading 'Healing Back pain'.. I perfectly suit to the TMS profile. 200%.My pain started after verbal altercation with my friend after which I headed to Movies where I sat for couple of hours. I generally dont sit for more than 20 mins due to my previous history of serious back issues. Due to this physical trigger my TMS has kicked in.

I started reading Healing back pain &
    WIth in first 4 days I have seen tremendous improvement (able to walk better) which I didnt do in 4 months. Since then the graph is up and down. Exactly at this point I am loosing momentum in terms of Mental thinking. I am concentrating more on pain and negative things are taking over.

How do I motivate myself? I am on 10th of day of Education programme of TMS wiki.
    All I can do at the moment is lie in bed.. take walk in my house and come back to bed & then Reading and journalling about TMS..
    So its becoming hard and hard to motiviate myself 24 hrs and very tough to concentrate only on emotional aspects all the time..

What can I do at this moment.. I am sure I have TMS.. I know this is the reason.. yet sometimes I concentrate on Structural aspects.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Markus

Markus Guest

I would actually say that you need a break. Maybe take one day and enjoy it. From my experience burn out can occur and you are saying you are not motivated. From what I read you ARE VERY MOTIVATED but, reading the book and doing the SEP or the other program on here is a lot of work. It really would not hurt you to take a day or so off. If youre convinced its tms you're doing great!.you could journal, set goals.
    I think you're motivated,and you really need to watch out for burnout. Because then you'll become un-engaged.
    The object is to believe the tms diagnoses,
    and then go at a comfortable pace. Do something fun, don't worry about your back, when it starts to hurt tell the brain to stop it. It sounds like you have some burnout. Take a day off,enjoy it, and use your tms knowledge as you go about your day. It sounds like you're doing awesome already!.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, IndiMarshall. I agree with Markus that you are doing really great. I suggest you spend less time monitoring your pain and even thinking about it, and spend more time on thinking about or doing things that relax you and make you feel happy. Journaling is excellent for TMS healing, but a lot of people get stressed out if they spend a lot of time on it each day. I think a half hour in the morning is enough.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

You asked where my pain was. It was severe back pain. I thought it was from having lifted something heavy
    but when I read Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back Pain, I realized I had TMS from repressed emotions and
    being a perfectionist and goodist person. And a chronic worrier. I always worry every minor thing into a life-threatening catastrophy. I've learned to lighten up on myself and not take me or life so seriously. My back pain went away after
    I did some journaling and discovered that my parents' divorce when I was seven years old left me with feelings of insecurity and abandonment. Now I realize I was in a very big boat. Lots of people are from divorced parents, and as for security,
    no one really has that. We do what we can and pray to the Lord to help us.

I turned 85 today and am not in pain, not sick, not on any medication. Has the Lord been good to me? He sure has!

Something I worried about yesterday never happened today.

Your recent or new pain came from what you say was a verbal altercation with someone. That happens all the time to
    most of us. Arguments, disagreements can create pain. I hope you both can put that to rest and get back to being friends
    or lovers or whatever you are.

5. AndrewMillerMFT

AndrewMillerMFT Well known member

Yes, to everything both Markus and Walt said. Unfortunately, we can get so wrapped up in doing the work to get rid of our TMS that we generate a lot of tension doing it. Sadly, this can perpetuate the problem. That's why a structured program such as the SEP can be so helpful because it keeps us from focusing too much on the TMS. Do some journaling and some reading but give yourself a cut-off point each day. Take a day off completely. Fill the time with things you can enjoy. In doing that, you'll short-circuit the feelings of "burn out" or "lack of motivation."

Markus likes this.
  6. IndiMarshall

Thank you all I have a taken a break today. Just now spent 10 mins on 4th chapter - The treatments

7. IndiMarshall

This is so true as my graph is up & Down I was a bit stressed out. I didn't realize this. Thank you.

8. IndiMarshall

Thank you Markus.

9. IndiMarshall

It's great to know that you are perfectly alright at 85 & not on medication something only a few can dream off :)

10. Markus

Markus Guest

You are welcome, when I started I was reading book after book. I was immersed,
    I posted something and was advised to take a break and have some fun.

11. IndiMarshall

So true .. I am trying too hard which is not good.