1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Could UTI also be TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Mara, May 24, 2016.

1. Mara

Mara Peer Supporter

Background: By realizing that my neck/shoulder pain after a minor car accident was really TMS (confirmed by a TMS dr.), and working on the issues from a TMS angle, I now have no pain at all in my neck or upper shoulder.

However, I recently had symptoms of a Urinary Tract Infection, and went to a doctor (not a TMS doctor, just regular one). He did the test, confirmed it was UTI and prescribed three days of antibiotics.

I do feel better than before the antibiotics, but still have some lingering symptoms, and the course of antibiotics is done.

Knowing the personality I have, I can't help but wonder--is this related to TMS? I have (or had) an actual infection that was diagnosed by a test. But, can the TMS then "use" that knowledge to create lingering symptoms related to that, even if the actual infection is gone or on its way out?

I don't want to go on more antibiotics if there is a TMS component here.

Thanks.

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Mara, I'd highly recommend reading the below story which I've lifted from the "Thank you Dr Sarno" site. This should definitely put your mind at ease....

I read Healing Back Pain in the mid-1990’s, saw myself on every page, and it changed my life. I have never met you, but I owe you the a great debt for saving me from a life spent in pain in doctors offices. I had knee pain at that time that cortisone shots and physical therapy could not heal when a woman who had had severe back pain (including 2 operations) and was swimming 2 miles a day suggested I read Healing Back Pain even though my pain was in my knee. The next day I had a appointment with yet another doctor who told me I had fibromyalgia. I got off the exam table, thanked him, paid my bill, and never looked back.

Now when I have pain, I talk to/yell at my brain and reread your books as the basis to think about things that are bothering me. It has really helped to understand what is actually happening physically. For example, when I had recurring urinary tract infections, it helped to understand how the brain causes infections and allergies by suppressing or increasing the immune system. Once I understood this, it confirmed for me that this was a TMS equivalent, and I my last infection literally disappeared overnight.

I must also thank you for describing the subtle childhood emotional abuse of some TMS sufferers in the Divided Mind. I felt like you must have been sitting on the couch of my childhood home. I cried for an hour knowing I was not alone and did not imagine it. I have reread that section many times and it has been a great comfort.

Thank you, and I wish you peace and health in your life. I know you have brought a great deal of that to mine.

3. Mara

Mara Peer Supporter

Oh, that's interesting!

Okay, I will just stop thinking about this for a while. And it's not like I'm not following the doctor's advice--I took the antibiotics for three days and the dosage is finished. Now I'm just going to let things settle down and not keep mentally monitoring symptoms. And I'm not going to google six million "natural" cures for UTIs or read horror stories or special cystitis message boards and worry, etc.

Of course if I got a high fever or was seeing blood, I'd follow up with the doctor about that. But my symptoms are nowhere near that serious and are much better than they were on Saturday.

Thank you!

4. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

I would go to the doctor for another test if the symptoms linger. If the infection has not been obliterated than you may still have one that needs further treatment.

That being said I have known people with bladder pain that turned out to be repressed anger and fear. TMS. Let your heart be a guide.

LL

5. Mara

Mara Peer Supporter

Thanks LL.

The doctor's instructions said to call back if the symptoms don't get better in a week. So, I am only on day three of that "week" and will just relax for the next few days, then see how things are on Saturday morning and decide what to do.

Thanks for the advice. I want to strike a balance between not neglecting things (I know a UTI can move up to the kidneys) but also not getting too worked up before it's necessary. It's a tricky balance! But, either way, this is not something that requires tons of worrying and googling on my part! That way lies madness. I will just give it time for now and let my body heal.

6. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

I have UTI symptoms all the time, but that's my TMS. I'm wondering if you had a culture done. It's not uncommon that even when one of the first-line antibiotics is chosen it turns out you have a bacteria that is resistant to that particular antibiotic. It can only be determined by a culture. Since you had a true infection I'd follow-up because usually your symptoms will be gone from that by now.

7. Mara

Mara Peer Supporter

Hi She,

I just got an email from my doctor that the urine culture (the one they sent out to the lab) came back as normal. (Although the quickie strip test they did on Saturday made them diagnose me with a UTI.)

The dr said just hydrate now and no need for more antibiotics. I'm glad to hear that.

Things have improved since the last time I wrote. However, I do still feel a small amount of symptoms still.

TMS is so tricky. It could be that something really was off that caused the positive test with the dip stick in their office, but, the TMS could then "use" that knowledge or minor infection/extra white blood cells or whatever it was to then cause TMS symptoms. So a real thing could then trigger a cluster of TMS issues, even though the thing itself is relatively minor.

I wonder, could the TMS itself actually cause extra white blood cells that then showed up in the in-office test? Our bodies and brains are so complex that it wouldn't surprise me at all. And since I did have urinary tract/cystitis type issues many years ago, while getting negative test strip results, I know urinary tract issues are one of the ways my TMS likes to present itself. But it hasn't done that in many, many years.

Anyway, the culture came back okay so I'm just not going to worry about it. I'm glad I didn't go on line and read six million web sites about urinary tract issues.

Thanks for the replies.

8. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm no Dr, but this seems logical and plausible. Stress is known to create many issues within the gut. If oxygen is not present it can become an environment where different cultures can thrive. and Furthermore lead to an increase in activity by white blood cells.

9. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

Leukocytes in small amounts can show on a urine dip or a urinalysis without infection. It happens more in women and may be even due to vaginal secretions. You can buy azo strips in most drug stores to check for leukocytes at home. In my case i often have symptoms from pelvic muscle tension