1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Corrosiveness

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by miquelb3, Dec 11, 2018.

1. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

Dr. Sarno talked about the CORROSIVE POWER OF DOUBT as a big healing difficulty from TMS.
    I think that if we add COMPLAINT and VICTIMISM the frame is complete.
    Think about it, please.

Coffeeplease and Time2be like this.
  2. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Mine is doubt, big time!

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I think victimism goes very deep, with or without TMS issues. As children we were "victims" to the powerful ones around us: parents, teachers, etc. Even if we were only told what to do when we didn't want to do something, we are the subjects and the adults are the "kings and queens." We felt controlled and were controlled much of the time from a very young age.

Then we may unconsciously control, and limit and perhaps "victimize" ourselves and project this control or bad experience as coming from outside ourselves.

So knowing oneself as victim is a deep, often unconscious part of everyone's personality. Some people seem more outwardly identified with being a victim, and others may present as very powerful, simply as defense to not see themselves as victim, or feel weak.

Being in pain or other symptoms can really activate the victim identities and beliefs, which may be easier to see from the outside. Are we victims of our bodies, minds, God, genetics, physicians, chance?? These are natural thoughts and feelings that most here at the Forum might understand. Pain is one thing, but feeling powerless about it is something worse, and easy to believe.

The sense of control must be regained if we're going to get better. Part of Dr. Sarno's guidance was to "become active." This is one way to address being a victim: "I'll decide what I am going to do, not Fate, pain be damned." Or that his clients taught him that yelling at the symptoms or mind-body was helpful. They are asserting their will.

When my symptoms began to subside, even once, it began to open my mind that I could do something about my pain. This is huge, and partly why Alan Gordon works so skillfully to introduce a pain free moment when a client is expecting pain, based on past experience. It opens our mind, and challenges the sense of powerlessness.

Another way is to explore the feeling of powerlessness, allow it, let it reveal its deeper nature which then means we may not be so identified (unconsciously) with it. Compassion may arise. Strength may arise.

Many people have had their viewpoint on their whole lives change after using the TMS techniques, seeing themselves in a different relationship to the world and their bodies and minds. I think part of this is due to the fundamental challenge to the victim mentality that is implicit in this work. A victim mentality which we may never have been aware of.

At the same time, if we get a glimpse of how we see ourselves as a victim, and then we attack ourselves for this, this isn't helpful!

What else do you want to say about this miquelb3? I am curious about your experience. I appreciate you bringing this up.

Andy B