1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Confused about different schools/approaches for TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Miro, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Miro

Miro Newcomer

Hello,

Ive read Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back pain and already did some progress (not only with back pain but also other health issues) by processing my emotions. Then I found TMS wiki and Alan's program because I want to continue working on myself.

I found out that Alan's approach is different. Its mostly about fear as a danger signal and body's inaccurate response.. while the book was about repressed emotions (Im simplifying). Both approaches resonate with me.

I was wondering how many more TMS approaches are out there and whether there are some considered the main ones. Id like to eventually stick to just a few techniques rather than get overwhelmed by different programmes saying different things

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello Miro,

It’s good that you’ve raised this at the outset because it gives me (and hopefully some of my friends here) the chance to assure you that at their heart, all the different theories are really saying the same thing but with a slightly different emphasis.

In sum, irrespective of the way you choose to go about this, you’re aim is to recognise how much inner tension you generate, be this due to your personality type (A), your emotional processing style (do you repress/deny your true feelings and people-please), your stress levels and/or the culmination of past trauma and harmful experiences.

These various factors not only generate huge amounts of tension, they also serve to over-stimulate the nervous system which keeps us on high alert because we never feel truly safe.

The various proponents focus on different elements of these. Alan Gordon deals with Fear and Safety. Monte Hueftle focuses more on the daily generation of inner tension. Classic Sarno therapists such as Nicole Sachs delve into the emotional realm using techniques like journaling. Many people, like Dr. Schubiner or Dr. Hanscom draw on parts of all the approaches in their methodology. Many of them collaborate, particularly on the Curable app.

This is because TMS is an evolving field and insights from neurology and such are constantly advancing our knowledge. In this sense the newer theories are only expanding our understanding. They certainly do not discredit any of the earlier sources and I’m sure every single person in the field owes immense gratitude and acknowledges the amazing work of Sarno. Without his strong shoulders (and faith), none of them would be where they are today.

It is easy to overwhelm yourself so you are wise to choose a path and stay with it, sure in the knowledge that if you get stuck somewhere there is a good soul who has been there before you and has told all about how they overcame it.

My best advice is to stay open, curious and playful about the process and ask any questions you have. We’ve all been where you are now and are happy to help.

plum x

TG957, Miro, westb and 1 other person like this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle