1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Concussion symptoms a TMS manifestation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Day-Cee, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Day-Cee

Day-Cee Peer Supporter

Hello All,

Long time no see! I have been away for a while and couldn't find the time to post anything hear. :p Nah the truth is that I've been doing pretty good for the last 3-4 months or so.

I even started back running, playing hockey and even play GOLF!!! That's crazy, I never thought I would be able to play golf without fear again. Serioulsy, I played 9-10 games this year, not all without pain but all without any limitation. This is really a miracle.

Anyway, I've been experiencing a lot of movement in my symptoms though, frequent urination, foot pain, hip pain, shoulder pain etc... Actually those switch of pain were a blessing to me since it gave me more confidence in the diagnosis.

I have a question for you guys, do you think that Concussion symptoms such as dizzyness, headache blury vision and other can be a TMS manifestation? I'm just experiencing something that has absolutely no sense.

About 4-5 months ago, I think I got a small concussion, I was playing hockey and I got hit from behind, the shock was not really really hard but I am fragile to concussion as I already had 2 when I was a teenager. Its actually a concussion that ended my Hockey career and started my low back pain.

Anyway, so after the impact, I was a little dizzy, but nothing really shocking, I've had much worse contact by the past without consquences. But finally, I experienced concussion symptoms for about 2 weeks to 1 month after. Could also be Whiplash but this is not the point...

Summer went by without thinking about this, I didn't play hockey at all this summer, but I did some sport like running and golf. Last week, Hockey season started. I played my first game without thinking about my concussion and everything went well, I actually had no reason to think about it since I was feeling really good. Yesterday was the second game of the season, and my center got hit from behind and fell head first on the ramp. It kind of reminded me of my concussion last season, and two shifts after, I started feeling dizzy again and didn't stop since.

I know that concussion symptoms can continue for a while, but it make no sence to me that it came back like it did, I did not get ANY impact during the game, I only saw my friend get hit and it came back right after. I also heard this week that an NHL player who thought was okay finally had concussion symptoms back. I'm really wondering if this is not another manifestation of TMS...

It has been proven that concussion symptoms are caused by the fact that less blood is sent to to brain as a defense mechanism for I'm not sure which reason. Concussion is now an epidemic in every sport, and it make no sence to me, yes athlete are stronger and bigger, but equipment are also better quality.

BY NO MEANS I'M SAYING THAT CONCUSSION ARE NOT REAL OR THAT THEY SHOULD BE IGNORED... I'm just wondering, once you got concussion... A real one, why the brain couldn't use this with TMS, just by sending less blood to the brain, symptoms can be back. Every injury is memorized by the brain, so why couldn't he be copying concussion too?

And as I said, what I'm experiencing at the moment just doesn't make ANY SENCE...

Opinions?

Thanks,

Scott.Cameron and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Concussions are big news now, big money to be made on them by NFL union players lawyers to get a big golden parachute pay day at the end of their careers. Even Hollyweird is cashing in on the concussion game with a sensationalized movie--that's how the collective meme that creates TMS symptoms gets formulated--the creation of urban myths.

Opinions--who me??? Stop watching the news and make some of your own. The nanny state would have us all in wheelchairs--probably autonomous google chairs--where do I get my handicapped placard? I want preferential wheel-chair parking at the country club.

mike2014 likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I guess some footballers may fake concussion symptoms so they can retire rich, but there seems to be a lot of legitimate.
    If I had a son I would tell him to watch the game from the sideline, not participate. It does a lot of damage besides concussions.

Tennis and golf are my favorite sports.

I also dislike hockey because it is so aggressive.
    A friend encouraged his son to play hockey and the boy, now a big, strong teenager, became very aggressive... even beat up on the father.
    It led to his parents divorcing.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Day-Cee - I'm actually going to respond to your question, because I think it's a really good one. Easy response, in fact, because I think that not only is this possible, but we know that it happens all the time with all kinds of injuries - why not concussion?

As you said, concussion is nothing to mess around with, and if you have any doubts about your symptoms you should be checked out, but it still makes total sense that seeing a similar injury will resonate in your brain and your brain will recreate the symptoms from memory. Just this morning I was surprised by a completely unimportant, but unpleasant, memory that surfaced from almost 40 years ago. Our brains process and retain EVERYTHING. Not only do they retain everything, but the neuroscientists tell us that our brains are still behaving as if we live in a primitive and dangerous world, so they are constantly scanning the horizon for danger.

In that moment, your brain saw danger, and came back later to nag at you and make you worry. Did you get checked out at the time you had that concussion earlier? If you didn't, maybe you had doubts that you should have done so? Or if you did, maybe you have a deeper fear about having yet another concussion on top of the earlier ones - but you've repressed that fear. I'm totally guessing, but what is probably true is that something is being repressed having to do with you and concussions - not necessarily an earth-shattering dangerous emotion, but something that would be better to get out in the open where you can address it logically and with self-awareness and self-acceptance.

Overall, it sounds like you are making great progess, so congratulations on that!

Scott.Cameron likes this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Then soccer and rugby players should be wearing helmets too, why aren't they?

6. Scott.Cameron

Scott.Cameron Peer Supporter

Hi day cee,

I too have been having a similar dilemma, I have been having most of the symptoms imperatives you have been getting and then a new one, itchy foot! Well, just as distracting but much less painful!

I don't know the answer to your question but I once passed out for no apparent reason and I'm sure it was because of of the stress I was repressing. I'm new here and getting much better but my guess is the symptom imperive won't go away till mind issues are sorted. I need more re-programming!

All the best & Good luck

7. Day-Cee

Day-Cee Peer Supporter

Thanks for all your answers... The more I think about it, the more this relapse of concussion symptoms doesn't make sense... Seriously, as soon as I heard that Micheal Bournival had a relapse, I started doubting and probably fearing too... But I repressed it trying to ignore my feeling I guess... My brain was just waiting for the good moment to bring back the concussion symptoms, but when I saw my friend get hit, it was too much, I guess it reminded me too much of my injury and my fear too, so the symptoms came back.

I'm an accountant, so my head is everything to me... This is why I fear so much concussions...

Thanks JanAtheCPA (I guess you are also an accountant!? :p) for your analysis... It really helped me think it through... And it all make sense... Of course I'll still wait for the symptoms to leave before returning to the rink, but I'm pretty confident its TMS...

Scott (I guess you like golf) wouldn't want to get itchy foot lol but I know you are right, if all this imperatives are happening, is because I didn't go to the root of my problem, to be honest, I never really went deep in my repressed feeling, am I scared? Yes, I'm scared to bring back old memories that I probably never even felt.. I had a lot of painfull (emotionally) episodes, so what I repressed must be even worse... And what if those feeling concerns people I love and people who are important to me? Anyway... So my TMS treatment has been pretty much learning everything about TMS, not fearing the pain and even ignoring it... But I guess my mind is sending me the message that this won't be enough...

Thanks guys!

8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Knowledge and belief can get you a long way in this work - but you're right that most of the time, it's not enough. After a while, pretty much everyone who didn't do the emotional work ends up coming back to do it. Old Freud - he knew what he was talking about.

Check out the free Structured Educational Program on the wiki. It will gently guide you into doing the work, one day at a time. And remember, it's actually your surface consciousness - that same tricky brain - which has convinced you that examining those emotions is something to be feared. Your brain actually thinks that something horrible is going to happen if you take your attention away from scanning the horizon for danger. This is a very primitive mechanism that has not adapted to the modern world!

The fact is that you CAN handle the truth. And when you do, you will see that it's not the end of the world, and you will find relief.

And yep, it's time for me to scrounge up some dinner and then see if I can crank out another tax return before I go home. October 15 is on my horizon :woot: