1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and TMS - The Same Thing?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AutumnIsMyFave, May 22, 2017.

1. AutumnIsMyFave

AutumnIsMyFave Peer Supporter

Hi Everyone,

I've been working at trying to beat TMS for a while now and while I've had some good progress in some areas, I've also had some weird new symptoms (the symptom imperative) come up. I've also had a site of an old injury giving me problems.

I had an accident about 5 years ago and required wrist surgery to re-attach 2 tendons. After the surgery I started to develop Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. I had quite a bit of success with mirror box therapy and managing to "re-train" my brain to help beat the pain and up until recently only had pain at my surgery site once in a while. In the last month or so, the pain has been returning which scares me (which only makes things worse, I know!).

Does anyone have any experience with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome? Is it similar to TMS? Is it TMS? I'm trying as hard as I can to not let this become a new chronic pain. Knowing that it was TMS would probably help me beat this a lot easier.

Thank you for your help!!

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Autumn,

I have worked with patients who have CRPS and I do believe it is a form of TMS. Sarno lists it as a TMS variant, and this makes sense logically. As you know, it occurs after an injury most of the time, but at the time that injury has healed. I think its the same process as TMS, a medically accepted variant of TMS (like headaches and stomach ulcers). Let me know if you have any questions :)

AutumnIsMyFave likes this.
  3. AutumnIsMyFave

Thank you for responding MindBodyPT! I was trying to find where Sarno talks about CRPS and I couldn't find it. Can you tell me where I can find where he talks about this? Hearing that it is an equivalent of TMS makes me less fearful of the pain that is recurring after 5 years and hopeful that it will go away again.

I really appreciate your help! Very kind of you :).

4. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Welcome AutumnisMyFave

Dr. Sarno mentions it in "The Mind Body Prescription" by it's former name, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy

5. AutumnIsMyFave

Thank you, Lavender! I didn't know that it had a former name. I found it in the book, so hopefully reading this will help me kick this.