1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Alexander Coherenece Therapy, anyone?

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Dr James Alexander, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Dr James Alexander

Dr James Alexander TMS author and psychologist

I have recently come across Coherence Therapy (previously called 'Depth Oriented Brief Therapy), devised by Bruce Ecker and Laurel Hulley. Although they dont focus specifically on chronic pain, the assumptions underlying their approach are identical to the TMS model, ie. symptoms serve a function in protecting us from other more threatening emotional truths which are lurking around in our unconscious. They do refer to working with chronic pain, but in the material i've read so far (Ecker, B. & Hulley, L. (1996). Depth oriented brief therapy: How to be brief when you were trained to be deep, and vice versa.) they havnt given any in-depth treatment of chronic pain specifically. I have completed a couple of small training programs they have available over the net, and have ordered their treatment manuals for further perusal. But at this stage, it appears to me that they are completely on the right track, and the method which they use for overcoming the emotional truths (which the symptoms are generated/maintained for) appears to be excellent. You can hear an interview with Ecker on Shrink Rap Radio (a series of interview podcasts), in which he is discussing his recent book on memory consolidation. His description of the therapeutic work used in Coherence Therapy is a little light weight in the interview, but reading his 1996 book spells it out in much more detail. I think this approach could be extremely helpful for sufferers of chronic pain. Has anyone come across it before, or are utilising this approach? I'm interested in any comments people may have about it. Thanks.

Neil, BruceMC and veronica73 like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm afraid that I don't know much about it, but you might try the PPD/TMS Peer Network's TMS Therapists mailing list. It is only open to licensed medical and mental health practitioners, but you might be able to get an answer there. In particular, I would bet that Allan Abbass or one of the other ISTDP therapists might have some knowledge of other brief psychodynamic therapeutic approaches.

3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I only know what I learned in the Shrink Rap Radio podcast. During the description and examples I kept thinking about how many of my issues stem from very early on in life and how the various techniques and therapies I've tried have barely (if at all) had any impact at all in enacting a change. I don't know of anyone who is using this approach but I would gladly sign up to be a guinea pig for it.

4. Dr James Alexander

Dr James Alexander TMS author and psychologist

Leslie- i believe that if you contact the Coherence Therapy website, they will be able to provide you with a list of therapists who have undergone their training. You may be able to find someone near you? Theres also a couple of really good interviews with Ecker on the podcast 'Wise Counsel'.