1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Clicking in joints with increased activity?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Journey, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Journey

Journey New Member

Hi! I'm new to this forum. It's really nice to know that there's a supportive community out there. I was diagnosed with TMS but I haven't been able to return to my physical lifestyle. I used to run a lot and now when I start running the clicking in my knee and hip gets worse. It's hard to believe it's not structural when there's an actual physical sensation such as increased clicking with increased physical activity (along with increased pain). I'm wondering if anyone's experienced this before and if so, if you have any coping suggestions? Thanks!

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Journey, hello and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't run till I lost the tms if I we're you. After losing the tms you might never hear the clicking again. I found this thread that can help you some as to knowing what others might say about clicking. But if you have been diagnosed with tms then why look for structural reasons? That is just reinforcing what you need to be re-programming ya know. Anyhow till you get reconditioned you will wonder - we all do. Check out this thread ok. http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/clicking.423/

If I were you I'd lay off the running and do the SEP structural program here for free at the wiki. And I'd make sure to keep asking all the questions I could ok.
    This way you will learn and recondition properly.
    Welcome.
    Bless you

3. Journey

Journey New Member

Thanks so much for the link. It does help to know that others have experienced the clicking/popping thing. It's hard because I had a prolotherapy doctor tell me that I have ligament laxity and that's why my joints click/pop. It's hard for me to get that out of my head. As soon as it happens, I go down the catastraphizing path and obsess about the structural problems. Mostly, I fear that I'll never be able to be active again. I'm working hard on changing my negative thoughts to positive ones but that's no easy thing after 33 years of conditioning. It's really helpful to have this forum.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

I've also been diagnosed with ligament laxity. My right hand, which hurts sometimes, used to click a lot. I had it massaged once and was so embarassed by how much it clicked. After a while the clicking went away, though not completely, and it had nothing to do with my pain levels. All the joints in my arms have ligament laxity but only my right arm clicks sometimes. Also my right arm could not be hurting and it will still click. Try to think about why the phyisical explanation doesn't make sense.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

A girlfriend of mine had something like that. When she sat down or stood up, her leg joints clicked.
    She didn't look in any pain, but it embarrassed her. It didn't bother me.

Just another thing to live with, I guess.

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Journey, Listen you have been conditioned for 33 years yes and at first it is hard but as you stay course -- little by little you will make progress toward your goal and as 1 goal passes and a new one is made you will feel better and then better. At times you might have a Flareup and then the pain might leave for weeks and then some pain till one day its all gone. I had pain for 25 years and I recovered -- so can you. The longest journey starts with a single step.

You will recover faster than you think if you believe and stay at it.

Have you joined the SEP yet so you can break this conditioning phase?

Let me know, I can direct you to all the right places :)

Welcome aboard and Bless You

7. Journey

Journey New Member

Eric - thanks so much for the encouragement. that's so awesome that you were able to heal after being in pain for so many years - that's very inspirational. no, I have joined SEP. what is that? please do send any resources that you think might be helpful. thank you!

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson