1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic Virus

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by C64, Sep 5, 2016.

1. C64

C64 New Member

Hi folks,
    This winter i have been very ill with a virus, i am at the 5th repeat of it within 2 months,
    Currently curled up inbed unable to go to work.
    Typical symptoms runny nose, cough, ear ache, headaches, body aches, fever, no energy so on..
    Also having bad chest pains, which keep moving around. Been to the Dr 4 times, i am all clear heart, lungs etc, they not sure why chest pain. Drs saying not bacterial so just have to rest...
    I am starting to think this virus x 5 must have something to do with TMS?
    I usually get sick once a season for about 1 week but this year its chronic...
    To reduce my normal TMS symptoms i usually just dont fight them, get on living and use a acceptance approach. Should i apply that theory to this virus? Though i cant get out of bed, very tired body aches and fever... love to hear your thoughts....

2. juderocketqueen

juderocketqueen New Member

I am no expert but while you have fever I would say don't push through. You need to stabilise first. Others will have more info.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, C64, I agree with juderocketqueen, not to push yourself and to rest until the virus or whatever it is goes away.
    In bed, practice deep breathing and you might try the Relaxation Response as a meditation technique:

A once (and future) meditator tries the relaxation response for stress

POSTED OCTOBER 14, 2011, 1:00 PM , UPDATED OCTOBER 29, 2015, 8:45 PM

Lloyd Resnick,Former Editor, Harvard Heart Letter

In the early 1970s, when Dr. Herbert Benson was defining and testing the techniques he presented to the world in his revolutionary book,The Relaxation Response, I was a hippie teenager learning transcendental meditation (TM). Flash forward about 40 years and I’m sitting in an amphitheater packed with a few hundred medical students, faculty, and staffers from Harvard Medical School listening to the iconic director emeritus of the Benson-Henry Institute explain the myriad benefits of the relaxation response.

The relaxation response is a self-induced quieting of brain activity. It leads to a body-wide slowdown and a feeling of well-being that have measurably positive effects on disorders caused by stress or made worse by it, including high blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythms, and many digestive disorders.

As Dr. Benson describes in Stress Management, a new Special Health Report from Harvard Medical School, the relaxation response may even change how our genes express themselves.

Achieving the relaxation response might seem too simple to be effective, but it works: Sit in a quiet place with your eyes closed. Relax your muscles and silently repeat a word, phrase, sound, or short prayer of your choosing over and over. When stray thoughts interfere (as they will), let them come and go and return to your word, phrase, or sound. Dr. Benson quipped that he chose “one” as the repetitive word for use inThe Relaxation Responsebecause the Harvard Medical School students he enrolled back then as study subjects lost count on their way to “ten.”

Then it was our turn. Dr. Benson led the auditorium full of presumably stressed-out people (the Red Sox had lost their final regular-season home game the night before, to name just one minor stressor) in a five-minute exercise to help us experience what he’s been talking and writing about for decades. I recalled my TM mantra, and after five minutes of quietude and presumably turning on the relaxation response, I felt reenergized and alert.

As enthusiastic as Dr. Benson is about the relaxation response, he’s not fussy about how you achieve it—any technique from any tradition, religious or secular, will do. But you have to do it every day to get the benefits, he emphasized. Therein lay the rub for me: I gradually but inexorably let TM slip out of my daily routine sometime in the 1980s.

“We can’t change the stressors in our lives,” Dr. Benson concluded. “But doing this for 10 to 20 minutes every day will change our reactions to them.”

4. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I agree with the others' responses. Viruses can take a while to go away and resting will help. I feel you shouldn't push yourself..

juderocketqueen likes this.
  5. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

If Doctors did not say it is viral, maybe they are guessing. Good thing you went to rule out what may be causing illness.

I don't know if any of us are Dr's. I know I am not, nor did I sleep at Holiday Inn Express.

The immune system according to the one and only Great Doctor John E. Sarno, is impacted by psychologic phenomena, re: unconscious and unwanted torment. Your Drs. say simply rest. Take it easy for awhile, take care of yourself, and find your thoughts turning to feeling well and vibrant.

I hope you feel much better very soon and do not have any more aches or anything that hurts. And if you do, keep challenging yourself till aches and illness are nothing more than annoying flies that will get smacked if they keep buzzing around.

Peace