1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Children and TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Madder, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Madder

Madder New Member

I'm a huge fan of Dr Sarno and Sr Schubiner and all of the TMS practitioners out there. I think they are doing the most incredible work. I have been trying to spread the word about this amazing education that we can spread around and make available to each other.
    I was interetsed in people's opinions on a question that my niece asked me today.
    She listened to the audiobook The divided mind, and her two young twins are 2 years old and suffering with hayfever. She wonders if that could realistically be TMS given that they are so young and haven't really had all that much time to develop their brains in that way yet? Or have they? I don't know?
    Any thoughts on how and if TMS can impact on such young children?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have seen dynamics between children and adults. adults and adults, children and children and even people with their PETS where it is obvious to everybody it is 'psychosomatic' , that is, serving a purpose of a distraction from repressed emotions. Sarno said it was a 'cradle to grave' disorder and that anybody capable of generating emotion is capable of getting it.

I worked at schools from 2005 to 2012. Modern Day child rearing has gotten so ridiculously distorted and impregnated with fear and techno-neglect, I would be surprised if there was NOT a tidal wave of new 'real' symptoms that never get diagnosed. Witness the new "I am allergic to EVERYTHING" people at your local Whole foods and their very very special dietary needs...and the results if they eat 'regular food'....these people "Munchausen By proxy" that crap onto their kids. "Oh Joey can't eat eggs... He gets so listless when he eats gluten... Maria is allergic to nightshade and tomatoes". Their is a 40-75k a year school by me that has custom meals cooked for each child.. The wealthier they get the sicker their kids are..But nobody seems to notice????

The average kid nowadays is thrown in front of a screen young.. I see toddlers on Iphone type of game devices. Go to any local playground and look at the parents with their noses buried in their phones.....or driving. Mammals crave interaction and love and it is becoming the rarest commodity. ...

..and the Fear that is broadcast over TV and then regurgitated in every day speaking. There is NO way this is not affecting kids. Most of the young Men I come across (18-22) are like palace Eunuchs. They have grown up in the midst of plenty and wealth and abundance but have zero real life experience because they were 'protected' and dropped off at school instead of walking home and are terrified there might be a peanut in the cookie. Wear masks because we are all gonna DIE! Don't touch anybody and don't let anybody touch you. Get your shot. Don't hang out with the wrong people. Wear a helmet...etc.

..and that's why most people won't digest the concept and it is so much easier to take a pill than do the work... because the truth will set you free, but they are afraid of the silence and the loneliness. Oh, they might embrace it on the surface and post about it on twitter, but they will go to the allergist before they will look at the details of their life.

Anytime I have an anything of a symptom the first question I ask is "Why do I need this symptom?" . If your friends twins need them, that could open up a whole can of angry...at you for being the messenger !!!!

But fear and neglect are 'waves' that are broadcast....and the signal keeps getting stronger. Your friends twins are growing up in this normal, and unless they are extreme outliers, it is their reality. Of course they will have a 'something'...maybe lots of somethings.

plum, Ellen, Sita and 2 others like this.
  3. Madder

Madder New Member

Thanks so much for the reply. I guess the answer to my question then is yes. Since a 2 year old can think and is capable of emotion then they are capable of having TMS, and so allergies. It's incredible really. In fact, I believe that they have had allergies since they were younger than 2.
    The picture you have painted here in your post is quite an eye opener, and is a real worry for where we're headed. At the same time, when I was a kid, I was allowed to make my own way to school pn the bus and back again. I don't have any food allergies, I didn't have a nintendo, but sure enough I still have TMS. How can we educate kids so young about TMS, so that they can nip this in the bud?
    In the case of these kids, the parents both work. These days, often, both parents have to work, and even want to work. Does that make TMS more likely?
    I'm starting to believe that TMS is unavoidable, and that every single person has it. Not that we're only capable of having it, but rather that there is no way that we can avoid it, and so surely everyone should be educated to understand it and overcome it when it appears.

Sita likes this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, that's where we would drive the car if it was left to US. Mercifully, some higher power (God?) occasionally flicks the last digit of it's little finger and destroys all of our plans and we start over again! (-Giovanni Guareschi)

I taught my sons about it as soon as I learned about it in myself. Being able to identify it is the first thing. The treatment is sort of different for everyone.... but as Sarno said, He didn't treat symptoms. This is a preventative endeavor....so Identifying it as such is super important.
    The best thing we can do is to be examples. That means dealing with our own stuff in real time, not just theoretically. It also means explaining to them Motives for doing or not doing things.

I recently turned down a lucrative gig that my son offered me. He understood my reasoning. The person for who the work would be done tends to provoke a LOT of anger in me... not consciously, but every time I have worked for her, I have gotten a symptom of some sort....better to just look for a different gig. That is after 22 years of doing this stuff... better to just move on.
    That's a great question and could be it's own thread. The idealist in me says 'Yes' but I never had any way to compare, and that's the bitch about anecdotal science's like TMS.

Agreed!!

plum, Madder and Sita like this.
  5. Sita

Sita Well known member

This is a very interesting discussion. Some years ago, I was studying child psychology. And because I was so interested about the subject I read extra, not just the textbooks for my classes. There is a book, "The Big Disconnect" written by a child psychotherapist. The book was published in 2014 I think. It's about the screens/technology and children. I really recommend it. Basically the child's brain has periods of development. If you put him/her in front of a screen instead of singing to him, teaching him in nature, letting him have periods of silence/no activity...he doesn't develop a normal brain. It's a period for every brain development, if it's gone...it's gone, yo can not recuperate and go back in time. It's very sad. If children don't read for example, they can't develop imagination. it's logical actually. At that time (some 10 years ago) I had a period when I helped some of my neighbors. They had two children and the youngest was about 2 years old. I offered to spend some time with him because they used to put him in front of a tv screen or tablet and let him there for about 8 hours a day. Alone. While the mother was at work and the father unemployed surfing online for a job.

The boy din't want to sing, was not talking (at all!) and was craving for attention. It just broke my heart to see him like that. I insisted for the parents to go with the boy to speech therapy. And finally he agreed. He's about 10 years old now but a little slow. They have a tutor come twice a week to help him read. Basic reading. I don't visit them much these days.

Baseball is right, we can only be examples for the children. It's not enough to tell them this and that, we have to do it ourselves first. The fact that children now don't go out to play in nature is amazing. I was running outside all day long after school. I'm thinking about boys and testosterone/hormones. They have to run, fight, scream, do some sports, I don't know...something in order to develop in a normal way.

Call me crazy or old fashioned but men have to be able to cope with life, women too. What is going to happen in let's say 20-30 years when all these young adults will be 50 or 60? There are no safe spaces in real life for them anymore.

plum and Madder like this.
  6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Aye. Me too. I hated being at school (even though I had no name for the monster at that time). I wanted to be on my bike, exploring the world with wind in my hair and the boys at my tail. It was BEAUTIFUL.

It’s heartbreaking isn’t it. No resilience and skills to cope with actual life, just so much anger. Much better to face injustice and folly from a peaceful heart and a calm nervous system. But thank the gods, some young people are sound and those old souls will do well. I have faith.

Sita likes this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Have I told you lately that I love you.

Ellen and Baseball65 like this.