1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Hanscom's Blog Charlie’s Story: Pain Free After 17 Different Doctors

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Back In Control Blog, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Back In Control Blog

Back In Control Blog Well known member

This is a story of a man who became pain free using DOCC Project principles. He had seen 17 doctors before engaging in the DOCC Project.

My Perspective

I met Charlie about five years ago. I had just re-commited to the DOCC project. I realized that my patients either with or without surgery were not doing nearly as well as I had experienced in Sun Valley where the project was born. He had had a lot of neck pain but was also not sleeping. It was also clear that he was quite anxious and becoming increasinly discouraged by not finding a way out of the Abyss. As testified by seeing 17 physicians within an 18 month span he clearly was motivated to get better.

At that time I did not have much clarity about the links between anxiety, anger, and pain. I happened to have a slow clinic day and was able to talk to him for a while. We just hit it off. We began by working on his sleep and I shared the book, “Feeling Good” with him. I asked him to begin the writing that David Burns, the author, had suggested.

The first six months were not that easy for him and we had frequent phone calls. He all of a sudden, “woke up” and went after everything with a vengeance. There was no book or website at the time. What he taught me was there is no magic formula to any of this. It is a matter of re-connecting with the best part of yourself. Then there is no stopping you.

Charlie moved back to Southern California were he is re-engaging in a busy, rich, full life and career. He has been pain free for several years. We have become good friends and regularly stay in touch. I appreciate his willingness to share his journey with you.
    BF​

[​IMG]