1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Cause and Effect

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Hiawatha922, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed that my allergies have been worse. This is a bit unusual. Typically, my allergies are worse in the spring and fall. Lately, I've noticed more draining in my throat as well as tearing and itching eyes. It is also a bit unexpected since I have now completed two years of allergy shots.

A few days ago, I noticed that I have been more fatigued. Last night, nerve pain in my left shoulder was very noticeable--so much so that I went to an urgent care clinic to see if I was developing shingles. I had shingles in this same area about seven years ago. The doctor said it was too early to tell, but she didn't think it was shingles (there were a few bumps which she attributed to a heat rash).

I realize that when I developed shingles several years ago it was at this same time of year, during the month of July.

I know that I typically used to think about allergies as causative in some respect. Muscle pain (and some nerve pain) is, for me, often associated with increases in allergy symptoms. Today, for example, both of my arms hurt. I presume this is from yesterday's yoga--however, I do yoga on a regular basis and typically I do not have this pain after a yoga class.

Finding this website and learning about TMS has been helpful. Trying to figure out all of the details relating to cause and effect is challenging to say the least and probably not worthwhile, particularly since much of the cause is probably unconscious.

My hope is to recognize and better cope with the fear that arises from my symptoms. My concern relating to shingles was substantial. Releasing fear and embracing outcome independence will be helpful as I continue to treat TMS.

2. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

I was thinking that there may be a few things that have prompted some anxiety over the past day or two. One is a routine colonoscopy that I have scheduled on Monday. The other is two upcoming out of state trips that I have scheduled in the next few weeks.

3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

There you have it! You were anxious about the colonoscopy and trips - so your body 'let' the pain/allergy symptoms flare up - so you could focus on them - instead of what you were really worried about. You may find this is a pattern you have. If so - each time you find yourself greatly concerned about a symptom - stop - look at what else is going on in your life - and see if you can reassure yourself about the worries, and let the symptom subside. It is only there to distract you from what your subconscious is trying to hide from....! It is like detective work! And once you get on the trail - the pain etc will go as it will have no purpose anymore. You are winning - keep it up!