Patty Cakes
Peer Supporter
I have been doing a lot of work with TMS, but a huge hurdle right now is living in the future and dealing with heavy anticipatory grief.
My husband has chronic health issues and is struggling quite a bit right now. I also have an aging senior guinea pig who is slowing down and an elderly 15 yr old dog. Both parents still at home but neither doing well. My brain constantly wants to scan the horizon, worry about the future and play out every "what-if" scenario before it even happens.
I've noticed that this constant worrying, triggers my physical pain flares ups. I try looking at the emotions behind it all and sometimes it becomes too overwhelming. They are all still here but I can see too many upcoming losses in my future. For those of you navigating TMS while caretaking or facing aging pets/loved ones: how do you stop your brain from living in the future? What tools do you use to pull yourself back to the present moment when the weight feels so heavy?
Thank you for any insight!
My husband has chronic health issues and is struggling quite a bit right now. I also have an aging senior guinea pig who is slowing down and an elderly 15 yr old dog. Both parents still at home but neither doing well. My brain constantly wants to scan the horizon, worry about the future and play out every "what-if" scenario before it even happens.
I've noticed that this constant worrying, triggers my physical pain flares ups. I try looking at the emotions behind it all and sometimes it becomes too overwhelming. They are all still here but I can see too many upcoming losses in my future. For those of you navigating TMS while caretaking or facing aging pets/loved ones: how do you stop your brain from living in the future? What tools do you use to pull yourself back to the present moment when the weight feels so heavy?
Thank you for any insight!