1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can you use 'no longer'

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by GettingBetter, Dec 10, 2014.

1. GettingBetter

GettingBetter New Member

I am just working on creating some positive affirmations to say to myself. My issue is pain as a reaction to food - ie a conditioned response to get pain (migraine, jaw/gum pain/RLS/skin issues) after eating certain (most!) foods. The biggest problem I have is the fear of eating and causing the pain. This is what I thought but I wondered if using the words 'no longer' is OK? I read in Fred Amir's book he used it so thought it might be OK. I need something to say to myself when eating/fearful of eating. Can anyone help please?

I no longer have reactions or worry about food. I can eat, drink and use anything I want. There is nothing to fear

There is nothing wrong with me. There is nothing to fear. I am happy, healthy and eat normally now

What do you think? Thank you. Grateful for any advice.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Those are great mantras because they are positive, telling your subconscious you don't fear eating or drinking.

Mantras work best when they are repeated often. They self-hypnotize a person so those positive thoughts add up
    in the subconscious.

Your mantras could apply to any problem besides eating or drinking.

3. GettingBetter

GettingBetter New Member

Thanks Walt, that's good. Important to get it right! What do you say to yourself when in pain? 'Stop distracting me and give me my oxygen back!' 'Thanks for helping me but I'm a big girl now and don't need distracting anymore.' OK? The pain keeps trying it on by flashing up and down.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think these are good affirmations. I would also suggest the following, because a version helped me break a conditioned response.

Something to the effect of:

There is no reason that food should cause migraine, jaw pain, etc.

I think this works because it appeals to the reasonable, logical part of the brain which can override the unconscious if the thought is repeated enough to become a belief.

Best wishes...

5. GettingBetter

GettingBetter New Member

Great, thanks Ellen :)

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Find Dr. Sarno's 12 Daily Reminders, they are his own.

7. GettingBetter

GettingBetter New Member

I am using those but I needed something food-specific to help, thanks Tennis Tom.

Tennis Tom likes this.