1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can TMS cause blocked clogged ear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I have TMS symptoms due to anxiety and stress such has lower back pain, neck pain, migraine headaches and pain in arm and legs. However, I don’t know if I have a new TMS symptom with my ears.

From time to time I get a blocked muffled feeling in my right ear but it usually goes away. This time I have a blocked and clogged feeling in my left ear which is freaking me out.

I went for a walk today and had my Bluetooth wireless earbuds in my ears. They were sealed in my ears to get good sound quality but the volume was low. Anyway, when I got home and took the earbuds out my ears I noticed that I get a sensation that my left ear is muffled, clogged and blocked. The strange thing is that blocked and clogged sensation goes away when I cover my ears or put on headphones.

I’m wondering if it could be either the left earbud has pushed wax into my ear causing the blocked and clogged muffle sensation in my left ear or it could be TMS due to a lot of stress I’ve been experiencing lately. This is freaking me out.

2. cain aven

cain aven Peer Supporter

I’ve been getting similar sensations lately. For me it is the brain switching it up, moving on from burning nerves to discomfort in eyes and ears. It is sctually getting predictable now, how it scrambles to distract.

3. Artmuzz

I’ve had the discomfort in one of my eyes which is like a burning sensation and my eyes water. It’s amazing what TMS produces assuming the problem I’m having with my ear is TMS. I just find it weird that the sensation in my ear disappears once I cover my ear or wear headphones. Once I uncover my ears the awful clogged and blocked ear sensation returns.

4. Artmuzz

This is starting to worry me now. I went to my bed and woke up in the middle of the night with high pitched tinnitus in my affected ear.

5. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

The tinnitus is anxiety, and a common TMS symptom. Don’t worry about it, it will eventually fade.

6. Artmuzz

I visited my doctor to get a diagnosis and she examined my affected ear but she cannot see any dislodged wax or any infection in my ear and she said my ear appears healthy. This has convinced me now that this could be TMS though I’m baffled why it happened after taking my earphones out my ears.

7. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

It happens the same way many TMS symptoms happen. You were subconsciously effected by something, and the brain just took an action to make you focus on it. It is exactly how any sudden symptom can happen wether it be a back, a foot, a wrist. Sometimes symptoms slowly creep up sometimes they start quickly - Sarno felt most of the events were beneign. It’s the underlying thought pattern, stressors etc. which are the cause. Think psychological was always his advice.

JV63 likes this.
  8. deny

deny Peer Supporter

How are you?

SebastianM likes this.
  9. BagelSchnitzel

BagelSchnitzel Peer Supporter

Yep, 100% I had this as one of my symptoms for a while late last year. Felt like my ears were under water with a constant background noise and clogged feeling. I knew it was TMS as soon as it started doing it in both ears and a day later it was gone.

10. deny

deny Peer Supporter

How did it dissapeared? And how did it started for you? I got it after a ear and sinus infection 4 months ago and I have a lot of symptoms from my ear. I have also TMJ on that side and have problems to trust a TMS diagnose.

11. BagelSchnitzel

BagelSchnitzel Peer Supporter

I was going through a stressful period at work and had just got a puppy around the same time that was waking up at all hours. I remember putting on some music which helped calm dogs on our Alexa, sort of like a white noise and for some reason that then triggered tinnitus symptoms in my ears, felt like my ear was submerged under water. I was worried thinking I had an ear infection for a few days then connected the dots, the key was when it moved to my other ear I knew it was TMS and it started to fade, after a couple more days it was gone.

JanAtheCPA likes this.