1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can Symptom Imperatives only occur when your first symptom leaves?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by sweetandsimple, Mar 1, 2019.

1. sweetandsimple

sweetandsimple New Member

Hi There

Im about 2 months into my TMS recovery work. So far my main symptom (tingling/burning in my face) has only really gotten worse and I have also had other symptoms pop up such as eczema on my hand (that hasn't flared in years) and headaches.

Ive read about symptom imperatives but it seems to be something that happens once your original symptom has begun to reduce. Can it happen along side your primary symptom even if it hasn't calmed down yet?

Mentally speaking I'm a lot calmer now than I have been for a long time. For the most part I no longer fear my symptoms. I get the occasional wobble but im able to quickly silence those thoughts and come back to knowing its TMS. Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

s&s, there is no logic and certainly no predictable path that you can expect when dealing with your particular "brand" of TMS.

Do yourself a huge favor, and throw your expectations out the window. They are nothing more than another distraction that your brain would LOVE for you to obsess over.

Just as each individual is unique in so many other ways, so is the way TMS manifests in each of us.

The road to recovery is equally unique and it's definitely non-linear.

There you go! This is progress! Conquering fear is a HUGE and vital achievement towards healing.