1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone tell me the longest it has taken?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Saoirse, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Hi Guys I have heard again and again how quickly TMS can work and the speed "I read 2 chapters" and I was pain free is a little depressive for those who are takin a lot longer. I am just looking for insprination on people who took months, years but who seen constant improvements or not. How long ? its not a negative its a positive.

Karl likes this.
  2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

It can be a short trip, but most of us take several months or years to recover. With recover I mean that you have some minor discomfort once and a while, but it disappears quickly because you know what it is and what you should do (and shouldn't do) to get rid of it. There are very little people imho who are 100% recovered, most feel 90-95% recovered. And don't forget that it can be a bumpy road, it usually isn't a straight line upwards. The good thing about a longer and bumpy road is that you learn what your pitfalls are along the way.

Mermaid and Ellen like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I second everything Gigalos said above. It took me about a year for recovery from TMS pain syndromes. Hang in there. Try not to "watch the clock". Just work on it every day and live your life.

Mermaid likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

SteveO, author of the "GREAT PAIN DECEPTION" and other TMS books said it took him twenty years.

5. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

I've been at it for almost 5 years, I've had a lot of ups and downs. 2015 was my best year, I thought I had it licked, but last year was very stressful for me and I built up to a relapse, which I'm working on calming down at the moment. However, I will says that I'm still much better than when I started.

Just stick at it, you make the best progress when your not "trying" to hard.

6. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Thanks everyone great to hear all your advice , I am not stressed about a timeline I have been like this for over 20 years , I would be delighted with an improvment 90-95% Golly thats simply incredible .

7. ladyofthelake

ladyofthelake Peer Supporter

From first starting to really know my severe sciatica was TMS to being 99% sciatica free was a really rough 8-9 months. I worked on it, my anxiety got worse, I lapsed into pursuing structural causes/cures, I went to lots of therapy because of anxiety/anger/emotions-in-general. Most of that time I was in awful pain without hope....then I started with Alan Gordon's program here and re-reading the core books and really started doing the the self-talk and outcome independence stuff....and the pain was gone within a couple weeks. Weirdly once I understood that I had to not care about the pain, that's when it went away. That said, I still have TMS because I'm a person with a TMS personality. I recently had pneumonia and had painful pleurisy with that which should be all gone now but I still have twinges sometimes. I think my brain latched onto that new novel pain and is giving that a try. Today I was overwhelmed, tired and angry with work and people's requests and I got heartburn. I still struggle with the unpleasant physical symptoms of anxiety. But the chronic relentless sciatica? That is gone and that is success!

Ellen likes this.
  8. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Hi Lady of the lake I understand what you are saying ,my body seems like its opportunistic looking for reason to set off anxiety and pain when in fact it my mind. I too have typical TMS personality and that is the something I am recognizing and working on.

9. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hello,

That is a great question. I myself was impressed by stories like 'a read that book and it was al over '
    Not for me.. i am working ' on my footpain (i have for 4,5 years) for one year now. Not your typival tms healing way : as in 'sep' etc. Doing a bit of my own way
    Read a lot here. And made some progress but its fragile. Sometimes get a bit optimistic (which is new !!) and than again freaked out and scared it's for the rest of my life. I did manage to somehow build a life around ' the pain : and that is helpfull. Was a huge thing 'to not let depression and fear about pain give a leading roll on my all of my days . Now hoping to one day leave it all behind me. But still working ' to get there.

Saoirse likes this.
  10. Jules

Jules Well known member

Its been over 4 years and I'm still struggling at times. I've had the pain for 20 years and TMS equavilants for at least 25 years. I'm not giving up. TMS is a mystery in and of itself. Each person heals in their own way and in their own time. Just Don't. Give. Up. :)

Anees, Saoirse and TG957 like this.
  11. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

After almost 20 years of suffering I was heal 6 months after I found Dr. Sarno, Dr. Weekes, Dale Carnegie, and listen to my wife.
    Dr. Sarno taught me that my symptoms could have an emotional cause and I can be heal.
    Dr. Weekes taught me to over my fear of my symptoms and heal.
    Dale Carnegie taught me that life is full of challenges, life is tough, but we can over come it, and he showed me how.
    My wife told me just say "fuc-k" it to everything. Just don't take anything or anyone serious. Just LIVE.

BloodMoon, Saoirse and tgirl like this.
  12. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

The first thing I healed from was sciatica (lower back pain) and that took quite awhile. If memory serves me, it was around 5 months. During that time, I rarely stopped believing in the TMS diagnosis. Did I have doubts from time to time? ... sure. But I mostly kept believing ... because I wanted to believe so bad.

Since then I've recovered from other issues: Tennis Elbow, Chronic Fatigue, IBS, and periodic Bronchitis. They resolved much quicker than my sciatica (as soon as I accepted they were psychological in nature). Sometimes accepting that takes a while too. Now I am working on Acid Reflux. So far, so good.

During my original recovery from sciatica, it did bother me when Dr. Sarno said it took some people a couple of weeks or a month or so to recover. As if that was a long time. All I can say is, ignore that. We all get better on our own schedule.

Best of luck to you!!

Saoirse likes this.
  13. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Thanks Guys you made me feel great I am committed and this will work

Cap'n Spanky likes this.