1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Call-In Discussion Group About Alan Gordon's Recovery Program

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by Forest, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

This Tuesday, July 30th, the call-in discussion group will be wrapping up its discussion around repression, and will be beginning to explore how to stand up to the inner bully, using the steps in the TMS Recovery Program by Alan Gordon, LCSW. We will review Step 3.6 (Identify Source of Repression), as we did not get a chance to go over it last week, and then we'll dive into the multimedia aspect of Alan's program, taking a closer look at the three recorded sessions from Step 3.5 (Address Repression): Ginger, Kelly, and Dustin. We'll then begin to explore how to effectively stand up to the inner bully (Step 3.8 in Alan's program).

As always, the official discussion will start at 9pm Eastern Time (6pm Pacific Time), but I will open up the call 30 min or so beforehand, for an optional, informal check-in conversation.

Hope to see you there!

Forest

-----------
    For detailed instructions on how to connect, click here

eric watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello out there to all our TMS wiki Family:
    Im going to give a rundoun of the first quarter of the discussion group so if it sounds like something you'd like to learn feel free
    to listen on and give us your thoughts and opinions

ok this program if full of wisdom from the onset we started talking about the theme, Recognizing Destructive Behaviors-
    and as always BruceMC gives his intro keeping us all up to date on our discussion;
    1) Self criticism- im worthless, what's wrong with me 2) Pressure- im not working hard enough- im not making enough money- its like a drill sergeant in your head
    3) Fear) what if I don't get better- what if I do all this work and nothing changes- what if I fail the exam- what if I get better then I fall back into pain.

Its all destructive thinking and behaviors, as mentioned in the discussion group when we go looking for the problem and then we find something that's a normal abnormality, we then discard the tms wisdom and focus back on the physical. I believe this behavior is said to be Catastrophizing, its a behavior that can be studied as forest said and it really stuck with me to look into.
    Stock trader said, Anger equals when I scare and beat myself without awareness I repress my rage. that's an awesome thought to remember
    Forest then talked about how fear can be a defense reaction - like if I worry about it then I will protect myself from it- another destructive behavior
    Forest also mentioned this behavior as the inner terrorist- when this happens he said the best thing I can do is learn to live with my emotions and not try to repress them.
    I (Eric Watson) mentioned about how after my father passed I used Somatic experiencing to get me through the recurrence of pain- it can pass if I just face it-
    I actually wrote a post of how I focused on the emotions in my body and then the pain released and left.
    Unknown Stuntman has wrote lots about this type of meditation in his threads called focusing.
    chickenbones threads on somatic experiencing was brought up and her threads are really worth looking into
    Forest mentioned to know more about it we can go to section 3.7 of Alan Gordons program called feel your feelings
    As in my case even when we master tms healing we can still have set-backs so its always good to
    know new tools to add to our toolbox so we can continue to grow-
    Forest also mentioned sometimes tolerating the emotions can help, by learning to tolerate them
    as joy mentioned good self talk can help too with self soothing and understanding....
    Now guys this is only 16:45 seconds into the discussion so if you haven't listened in it would be a great idea to do so...
    so until my next rundown, this one is an ace in my book...

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a summary for the July 23rd Podcast
    Feel free to leave some replys guys
    this is such a revealing podcast, so many of us hear about repressions and how we need to do this work or that work to get to them so we can have a release of the tension that has been built up or the pain that has settled into our bodies from this repression and we wonder how many ways can we attack this issue ( Identifying the source of repression) and what can we do to stop the repressions and so forth- in this revealing podcast Forest talks about how facing the issues at hand helps him resolve repressions in some ways and Joy gives us an important thought to ponder about half way through that really grabs our attention as a new thought is learned
    BruceMC talks about how the over analytical thoughts we have can lead to repressions and I discuss about living in the good zone- I want to explain what that means before I wrap up this small summary of this exciting word the good zone- see there's some of us that if you don't practice every minute of every day being positive and hopeful and looking for a better way in everything you see then it wont take much to pull us down to depression so after I became a man of the word of faith I had the privilege to stay in that guidance of hope and goodness for a very long time- in this time I turned the other cheek on more than one occasion and after some time I had to learn to let out some anger on the punching bag and so forth- so to where we can learn not to hold repressions and release them in many different styles - I had to learn to loose a lot of built up anxiety through exercise and boxing bags, then back to the good zone so now you know- We also talked about welcoming negative emotions, not out of despair but just knowing its part of the human condition and so much more- Stock Trader again had some great quotes and thoughts that made this podcast another great learning tool for your healing reservoir -id recommend highly that you get in with us and listen to these podcast- even though were discussing our thoughts on Alan Gordon's awesome program , we have all been there and healed from the tms pain- so its a gold mine of knowledge to see how we as peers are looking at and applying our newest forum to our own lives

4. Forest

Here's the recording from our discussion Tuesday (July 30th) around standing up to the inner bully. For convenience, I've included the Dustin audio from Alan's program in the recording itself, so you can listen to it before we discuss it. I also added Ginger and Kelly's audio at the end, although we didn't have time do discuss their audio during the call. (If you want to skip over Dustin's audio, the conversation resumes at 1:03:15.)

As always, feel free to listen to the recordings using the audio player below, or download the podcast to your computer by right-clicking on this link (or the link below the player) and choosing to save it to your computer. Enjoy!

Click here to download the mp3 audio

5. Forest

We already know that the underlying message of Part II of Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program is be kind to ourselves. For the call-in discussion group on Tuesday August 6, we'll be looking at the last four steps of the program, which show how providing comfort (step 3.9), prioritizing ourselves (step 3.10), attending to our internal state (step 3.11) and taking a loving stance (step 3.12)are all tools that can help us overcome our TMS.

As always, I'll open up the call half an hour early if people want to get a chance to say hi and check in before the discussion. But, the official discussion will begin at 9pm Eastern Time (6pm Pacific Time). Hope to see you there!

Forest

-----------
    For detailed instructions on how to connect, click here

6. Forest

Hi all,

Here is the recording of the call-in discussion group's final discussion of Alan's recovery program. I just want to thank everyone - participants, moderators, and those of you who listened to the recordings afterwards - for making these discussions so engaging, interesting, fun, and valuable. As always, you can listen to the recording using the audio player below, or you can download it as an mp3 by right-clicking on this link (or the link below the player) and choosing to save it to to your computer.

Click here to download the mp3 audio

Around 1 hour and 5 minutes in this recording, the discussion around Alan's program ends, and we started planning upcoming discussion groups. Ultimately, we decided on having a peer support group (non-recorded) next week. I believe we decided on discussing The Great Pain Deception by Steve Ozanich after that. I've announced it in this post, so if you have any thoughts or comments, feel free to reply. In the meantime, enjoy this recording!

Best,
    Forest