1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Calcification - ankle

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JoelA, Jul 9, 2013.

1. JoelA

JoelA Peer Supporter

Hi all,

I have been writing in this forum a few times before, with reoccurring back, hand and ankle/foot pain. Up until a few weeks ago doctors havn't been able to find any tissue damage at all that could cause all of these pain mechanisms. I have read and reread Steve-O's book, I have gone through the divided mind and the mind body prescription. Right now I am following doctor Schubiners programme in "unlearn your pain".

Especially Steve-Os was inspiring. It is probably helped me the most.

ON THE PLUS-SIDE

I have made some progress. From the period from april onward I have managed to jog for 1km. After that session I did not hurt much. I have also been able to work for three weeks with a laptop and play videogames in some extent, which I thought I would never be able to do. I have some discomfort but it is not superbad.

I am also a newly certified ashtanga yoga instructor after 4 weeks of intense training. During this period of time alot of things in my body hurt, but I didnt care and overall I felt great due to the possibility to MOVE FREELY again. The mindfulness part in yoga has surely helped me reduced pain, it has given me tools to relax and the movement part (which is truly intense in ashtanga) has made me trust my body in a (re)new way.

THE BUT-SIDE

BUT. Of course there is a but. I have had a small sensation in my hamstring and buttock on the left side due to overly stretching. This has worsen during the last week and I went to see a physio because this was "different from my ankle, back and hand pain". What was the suggestion? Take it slow, don't do yoga for a while and do some minor stretching exercises. For 2 months. Then take everything superslow and follow this program and then youll be fine *thumbs up*. Have I heard this story before? And as usual it has a hard time to go away, both mentally and psychically.

Also, I just recently got back my last left ankle-MRI. It has a minor bone-calcification (which shouldnt hurt according to one doctor but another believes it causing my problems). I googled (bad idea) and read somewhere that "injury on the weightbearing part of the ankle can be the beginning of long-term problems". Also, the physio thinks my hamstring, buttom, ankle all on the left side is a chain-reaction.

So what did I do? I did some strengthening-exercise 2 days ago, push-ups, core and leg-strengthening. It felt alright while doing it, but when it stiffened up it started to hurt real bad. Especially my foot/ankle.

I once again struggle to accept the TMS-diagnosis and "there is nothing wrong with me"-thinking. All this has happened during my summer-vacation which is quite the opposite to what should be happening since my "normal" living (uni in another town in Sweden) during the semesters are more stressful.

I am not certain what to do. Does anyone have any experience with strained (painful) hamstrings and TMS? Bone calcifications? Can it be the root problem to my ankle-pain or, since I actually been able to and my foot hurts in other spots then the actual ankle aswell, is it TMS? Not sure what kind of answers I am looking for but I am struggling right now..

Cheers,
    Joel

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

What is bothering you emotionally? The fact it is vacation time might mean that you are free from normal 'work' stress, to dwell on, or think about other things. Perhaps something from the past has come up, you've seen someone that has a link to stressful memories, or just a situation has reminded you of a stressful time. There will be something - you just have to find it - deal with it - and then see if your pain goes...

3. Birdie

Birdie Peer Supporter

Hi JoelA,
    I had a very bad accident in my right ankle when I was 11 years old. For years now doctors tell me (when they take a look at my MRIs): you have to undergo surgery! Due to this comminuted fracture my ankle did not grow together in the right way, it's very crooked and distorded and partly stiff. I have major calcifications there and other things. But: "still" no pain, 24 years after the accident. I have horrible pain in both heels and also suffer from metatarsalgia, but my ankle does not hurt (athough it might be the "perfect" place for my TMS to settle down...but I won't jump the gun ;)) . Of course doctors blame the accident for nearly every pain I have from the heel pains to the piriformis and so on what's really illogical to me.

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

You might want to look at the TMS Recovery Program by Alan Gordon here on the wiki. He talks about some steps to take when you have doubt. This is the basis of your problem.