1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Breakthrough Moment in Back Pain... But foot pain is persisting...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JenV, Jun 9, 2015.

1. JenV

JenV New Member

Hi!
    I have suffered with back pain, neck pain, gastro problems, and many others, for years. The back and neck pain started 6 years ago, after being told I had spondyliolisthesis, and could end up in a wheelchair! After years of chiropractic, PT, ect. I stopped all of it and accepted that this was TMS. On Day 10 of the SEP and 3 sessions with a TMS therapist, I had a break through! Sitting in my daughter's dance recital, the pain began to creep in. I (to myself) got angry at the pain and told it to go away. Then comforted myself by reminding myself that my spine is flexible, strong, rubbery (I don't know why this image works so well, but it does), and it can handle this! It worked! Pain went away and anytime it tries to come back, this works! I am living more in the moment, stopping to breathe if I get anxious... (It happens out of nowhere), and, as an abused child, I even hung a pic of myself at 4 years old on my mirror to remind me that I was so precious and didn't deserve the abuse and it's not too late to take care of me.
    Last October, I started having foot pain from walking in ballet flats while on vacation. The pain didn't stick around until 2 weeks later after a trip to the grocery store. It got so bad that I couldn't walk. I went to a podiatrist who took an x-Ray looked at my feet for a few minutes, and told me that my arches were falling because of a biomechanical problem with my foot. He said I needed orthotics and must never walk barefoot! At 40 years old, why would the pain start now? Confusing. I got the orthotics, and after 2 pain-filled months of getting used to them, the pain went away. I finally was able to accept a TMS diagnosis for ALL of it when the foot pain came back 2 months later, despite wearing the orthotics! Back pain is so much better, neck pain better but the foot pain is raging and for some reason I'm having trouble with this one! Would ditching the orthotics help??? I'm scared because the pain gets worse when I don't wear them... Even though I really know it's TMS.

SunnyinFL and IrishSceptic like this.
  2. David88

David88 Well known member

Hi Jen,

As scary as it is, the flare-up of pain is part of the healing process. When you start challenging TMS by getting in touch with your buried feelings, your defenses kick in out of old habit. The pain is a defense to keep that hurt from surfacing.

Your pain is not about the allegedly fallen arches or the orthotics. It's about your hurting inner child. Stay the course with your SEP and therapy. You're making great progress.

David.

SunnyinFL, Lizzy, JenV and 1 other person like this.
  3. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

I recommend looking into going barefoot or using bare feet as much as possible. funny how many of us have concurrent foot pain and back pain. I ditched orthotitcs too that I was given for shin splints. Consider reading Born to Run, human footwear is badly designed at present except barefoot type footwear

Lizzy and JenV like this.
  4. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi Jen,
    I agree with both David and IrishSceptic. I have had problems with my right foot, but I did the SEP here on the wiki, and at 49 I go barefoot alot, do low impact workout barefoot, and my greatest smile for me, run up and down the stairs barefoot!! Last June I was in a boot and PT, and it wasn't helping. I had a lot of fear I would never recover. Last November when I called my podiatrist to make an appt to see him again I started crying while talking to the nurse. This stuff is no fun! However, I am so happy I found out about TMS, because now I am getting well, emotionally and physically. :)

I wanted to tell you I think the picture of yourself at 4 is a beautiful way to work on healing! I really love that!

Lizzy

SunnyinFL, David88 and JenV like this.
  5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Foot pain well I been battling this issue for over 5 yes and been on meds for as much time. Many test no answers very disappointed.... But I said enough is enough except tms stop my meds did some some therapy with a tms therapist for 5 or 6 session than moved on to regular therapy . went threw a gamit of problems from a sick child ( better know) thx god... To a father battling cancer who finally lost to a cheating wife who I caught numerous times and finally going threw and friendly divorce but still living together...... ( I will not move out plus can't afford another apt) I am sure that's a issue of my pain.

But I am happy for myself for getting of the meds which did not help a long with anti depressant. Got more physically active I am facing my pain and fears with open arms. I don't let my mind runaway with negative thoughts I just tell it to stop and move on.

This road is long I have had bad stomach issues which
    Stopped to my on going nerve pain which is mostly in my feet and left side . I have more good days of late then bad when I have a bad day I just tell myself a good one is around the corner.

JenV likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Jen, I think your foot pain means your subconscious still wants you to work on the TMS emotional causes of your pain.If you haven;t done it yet, the Structured Educational Program can help you to discover what those causes are. It's great that you believe in TMS. Now you need to discover those repressed emotions. Have you really dealt with your abuse as a child?

David88 likes this.
  7. JenV

JenV New Member

@Walt Oleksy
    Yes I'm on Day 19 of the SEP and I've been working with a TMS therspist for about a month now. I have made lots of progress. I was reassured by H. Schubiner, through an email, that my foot pain is also TMS, so I ditched the orthotics today! Interesting... No foot pain, but some pain started moving back into my neck and then later my low back. Right now it's all gone. I just haven't been giving it the attention I used to! I will keep working on the repressed issues though. For me it is so much about my inner dialogue as well. Breathing and not getting anxious. Enjoying the moment! I took my daughter to the pool the other day and we had a blast! I can't imagine being able to do that a few months ago. Thank you for asking about me. I appreciate that. I love your posts and comments.

SunnyinFL and David88 like this.
  8. JenV

JenV New Member

Just did a "swift walk" on the treadmill for 20 minutes. BAREFOOT!

SunnyinFL and Lizzy like this.
  9. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

You go girl!! That is wonderful!! Going barefoot as soon as the floors warm up in spring has always been what I do without thinking. I really appreciate it ater last year.

JenV likes this.
  10. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Jen V

sorry to hear about all your tms issues I have most of them some left some are camped out….but my foot pain is latched on and as been for 5 years..my bothers me the most when I am still and know its starting to radiate upto my knees..its mostly a stabbing pain with a occasional nerve pain but mostly achy does this sound about the same as what you are having?