1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

BPPV Abroad

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by KML4M, Jun 28, 2017.

1. KML4M

KML4M Newcomer

My name is Kendra, and I'm 24 years old. I am from the USA, but I am currently in Germany and I have been for over a month now. I am so happy here, or, so I thought.
    I have been so lucky to travel while here. So on a weekend right before I went to Dublin, a cough started. I figured I had a cold from new germs that I am not used to. It is still here! I went to the doctor and got an antibiotic, and it still isn't gone. Now my ears have also been really full. I've had this cough for about a month now, and it's driving me insane. I'm sure it's from the stress of being here. My Dublin experience wasn't the best. I didn't get much sleep, and I was in a hostel that was so hot it felt like at night I was being tortured. From lack of sleep, and the heat, I just wanted to go back to my host family in Munich.

Last night, my Vertigo started. When I was 15 I was sexually abused by a boyfriend. He would always tell me if I left him he would kill himself, and this stressed me out. Which, I mean, of course. In the past couple days I got in a new relationship here. I know that I am going to have to leave him to go back to the states. Even though we've only been together briefly I've already been trying to plan how to move back here so neither of us get hurt. I've had this happen before. When I get in a new relationship I experience vertigo. I know this! I keep telling myself there's nothing wrong with me, but it won't go away! I did some anger work, and I'm still just so frustrated. I'm supposed to do more traveling and I can't be like this! Right now I guess I could just use some tips and reassurance. Thank you.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

If you truly have BPPV (Benign Paroxysm Positional Vertigo), the Epley Maneuver (on YouTube) will usually correct it fairly quickly. I get it from time to time, too. Have you seen a doctor about it to get the correct diagnosis?

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Kendra,

Vertigo can be caused by a number of things (TMS being one of them, of course). Actual BPPV is due to a specific physical cause (loose crystals in the inner ear). It can be diagnosed by some doctors (ENTs are best), and specialized physical therapists can do it too! Might be worth a visit to see what is going on. Vertigo can be from lots of other reasons too, not just BPPV. It might be stress induced for you since you always experience it in a specific emotional situation.

4. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Kendra, Your cough might be from pollen from spring trees and flowers that you aren't used to in the states.
    They've been saying on the news that this spring has been one of the worst for allergies. I'm not sure why.
    An antibiotic won't work on an allergy.

I think you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to figure out a way to keep a new relationship alive so that "neither one gets hurt."
    You're 24. You don't have to protect him. Enjoy your youth. Tell yourself: "I can have happy young years. I can enjoy this travel. I am safe. My body will react to my feeling safe. I am safe." If the relationship is meant to last, it will. Please don't worry about getting hurt right now.

Go travel. Don't tell yourself that you can't. You got this, girl.