1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Boredom / restlessness causing TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by BloodMoon, Aug 19, 2018.

1. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Well known member

Hi Lizzy,

I too was frightened of my father. He regarded me as a nuisance, sometimes hit me, and it was hard especially because I was on my own with no siblings for moral support. I have wondered if I too suffer with perhaps a mild form of PTSD but, in researching it, I don't seem to really fit the symptoms. The lack of love in my childhood though drove me to comfort myself with food from about the age of 7. I then went on a diet in my teens and headed towards anorexia (I took laxatives and pretended to eat when I hadn't) but then somehow I went back to comfort eating (probably because I had felt so weak with restricting my food intake). Thankfully, in recent years I've got my eating pretty much under control, but I had problems around food most of my life...Our parents can be responsible for so much heartache and damage!

Thank you again for telling me about the book. (By the way, I didn't buy the other book by the same author that I was going to get because I saw that the reviews said that it was just a rehash of the original 1994 book.)

Balsa11, TrustIt and Lizzy like this.
  2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Bloodmoon,

My goodness, we have such similar histories. I practically stopped eating in jr high school after a particularly crushing comment by my dad. The school nurse actually called my mom because i lost so much weight! I then gradually increased to overeating until in my 20's I was very overweight. Finally at 33 I began to eat better and have had a pretty good eating pattern ever since. I'm 52, so I'm very glad to be doing better. It really is easy for a parent to destroy parts of a child.

I'm glad you found out that the other book would not have added to what you are learning. Thanks so much for sharing this with me, and others here!

Hugs,
    Lizzy

3. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Well known member

It is indeed remarkable how similar our histories are! Where else did we have to turn to when we were children - other than to food - for comfort when being treated so badly/unkindly?...And the anorexia when we got a bit older is, I understand, generally usually about trying to have some control over our lives (while in reality our parents still controlled everything). I'm 60 and it's only in recent years that I've been able to get into full recovery; I very gradually lost 77lb during the process. Now 'all' I have to do is conquer my TMS!..But you and others on this forum are helping me do so; I've only recently joined the forum and I'm seeing some changes in me for the good already :). I hope you are healed from TMS, Lizzy. I obviously read on my 'where in the body we feel our emotions' thread that you still get some symptoms, but I do hope that they are purely a blip in the great scheme of things. Xx

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Lizzy likes this.
  4. Balsa11

Balsa11 Peer Supporter

Hmm I'm a morning person, though.

5. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

"However, I do think combatting boredom and fear is one of the absolute necessities in my recovery. I am so aware that when I am absorbed and stimulated by something that any symptoms I may have at the time are far less troublesome."

I posted before this very thing...boredom. It seems my mind needs something to do all the time. Some problem to fix. I too have always mastered things quickly and wanted to move on. I am bored silly a lot and guilty about it bc there is nothing wrong with my life generally speaking. I can do just about anything I want to do so there's no reason to be bored. I just cannot seem to get motivated to do anything. I have journaled. I have read all the books and I come here for advice and encouragement and also hopefully to help someone else. This started with a chronic, extremely aggravating sinus and throat issue. Then trying to get to the bottom of that, I started stressing over allergies to foods I might be eating or to my environment, and just disappeared into a bottomless rabbit hole of fear and stress. I developed IBS. Now I have both. Isn't that great! What is so frustrating now is that I've given up my fear of food and eat anything I want. That is wonderful but I still have post nasal drip and too many bouts of IBS and have no idea what triggers it. The only real stress I have is purpose or lack thereof. The past five or six years have been the most frustrating of my entire life. It's brought out so many different emotions, which is good, but a lot of self-pity unfortunately. The intensity is much less these days so I know I'm on the right track but damn is it slow and sometimes very disheartening. Why can't I master this like so many other things in my life? All said, I am optimistic.

6. Balsa11

Balsa11 Peer Supporter

Boredom means your vitality and energy is back. It's a good thing. Why do we make every little thing an issue? Find something fun to do and enjoy your life:)

7. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

i know that sounds petty, Balsa11, but my bigger point was to wonder if the boredom "issue" is actually CREATING the digestive issues. as if, there is nothing interesting to do so guess i'll create some major discomfort in my body so i can have something to work on. it's a weird and ridiculous catch 22 since the ibs discomfort discourages me from doing anything else. wearing me out.

Balsa11 likes this.
  8. Balsa11

Balsa11 Peer Supporter

Probably chronic tension or worry? Oh and fixating on symptoms of course.

TrustIt likes this.