1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Book Recommendation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by fridaynotes, Aug 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

Can anyone recommend a good, clear book about strategies for accessing, feeling and accepting your feelings?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I have to say, I tried this route and realized no book can make it happen. You have to do the inner work and be willing to get there.. and I think some folks never do all the way. Stressing out or focusing on trying to feel emotions did not work at all for me.
    Noticing when I should feel them was a start, then slowly telling myself it’s normal AND acceptable to me to feel them in my body has come next. Intellectualizing it with books just made it all the more confusing. Just noticing once or twice a day with curiosity helped my mind stop worrying about my ability to “do it right” - eventually I stopped resisting feeling emotions, doing so became safe. Basically the same strategy to lessen fear of pain helps the brain stop fearing feeling emotions. That said some folks never much feel them and become pain free.

Ellen, JanAtheCPA and TG957 like this.
  3. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

oh! great response~ thank you!

4. Booble

Booble Well known member

I don't have a book recommendation either.
    I ask myself a lot of questions. From a place of wonder or curiosity. That seems to get things started.
    Last night or rather early this morning while I should have been sleeping I awoke and had a sudden realization about a feeling I wasn't really aware of. Or maybe was avoiding. It was uncomfortable. But felt important. I pondered for awhile. I could access and feel it but how to accept it? Since husband was awake too, I was able to open up and talk to him about it -- as it pertained to him.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@fridaynotes, I don't see any indications in your posts that you've worked on the SEP - the free Structured Educational Program on the main wiki.

The SEP is basically designed to expose the TMS "student" to different techniques and viewpoints without having to invest in individual books or resources until they get a better idea of what resonates for them.

Booble likes this.