1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Better Mental Health

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by PatriciaK, Dec 8, 2015.

1. PatriciaK

PatriciaK New Member

Although what motivates most of us is the prospect of getting rid of chronic pain, I think I feel more excitement about the prospect of better mental health. Having low level poor mental health adversely affects me in so many ways. I am always aware of it and have been somewhat of a "Self-Help" junkie. This structured approach appeals to me since it will probably touch upon things that I may not realize need to be thought about. I do find that writing out my thoughts when I am distressed is helpful. I move from one thought to another and realize things that don't seem to occur to me unless I am writing. I think the sequential nature of putting sentences down on paper without the distraction of doing other things ( as I might be doing when I'm simply thinking) allows me to go beyond the point at which I am sometimes stuck.
    I haven't finished listening to Dr. Sarno's lecture yet or finished the Week 0 material. I'm doing it in small increments but I think I will aim for two sessions a day so I don't get off track.
    It's been great to read testimonies of others. The forum is interesting because it makes it more clear that it can be a real struggle to deal with what is bothering us and bring it out into the light. The testimonies don't seem to mention that part.

KevinB likes this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

3. PatriciaK

PatriciaK New Member

Thank you, Kevin. I saw some of your comments here and noticed that you live in Brooklyn. I lived there for 10 years after going to Pratt Institute. I hope you're enjoying all the wonders that living in NYC offers. I come to visit friends or my sons and enjoy it every time. One of my sons told me about Dr. Sarno. He lives in the East Village now and is close in age to you. He's been going through the structured TMS Recovery Program and has found it to be very helpful in ways that go way beyond relief from physical pain.

KevinB likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Patricia. I agree with Kevin about how helpful the SEProgram is. It really does help us go beyond being pain-free. For me, especially journaling led me to better understand myself and those who I discovered caused my emotional pain since back in my childhood. Just recently I thought about my brother John who was three years older than I and died three years ago. He was enraged that he was passed over for the promotion to be head of his accounting department at a major insurance company. He blamed it on nepotism since a relative of the CEO got the job. In thinking more about it recently I decided it was understandable that John was passed over, by anyone. John refused to work on a computer in doing his work estimating the company's losses due to disasters. He said he always did it manually but the figures came out the same as others' on a computer. But a company needs to keep up with technology and John resisted that, so I believe that is why he was not promoted. I doubt he realized this and instead blamed it on nepotism. Anger and resentment did not help his health. If we journal about our own and others' angers, we learn a lot about ourselves and them,