1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Best Way To Do The SEP? And how to incorporate Alan Gordon's program?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by donavanf, Mar 2, 2016.

1. donavanf

donavanf Well known member

I'm about to start the SEP for the first time.

Couple of questions, how do I incorporate Alan Gordon's program? I know that it IS being incorporated, but I don't wan't to wait to do the SEP till then. I've listened to a bunch of Alan's audio transcripts and they have helped me greatly.

Would you recommend me doing the SEP first, Alan's second, or vice-versa, or both at the same time.

Lastly, do I have to start the SEP on a Monday? My OCD says yes but my intuition just says, "Start Any Day", just start!

2. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Hi Donovanf! I'm not really sure what the difference between Alan Gordon's program and the SEP is, so maybe someone else could clarify for the both of us (Probably Walt). I thought the SEP was part of Gordon's two part recovery program, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I can totally relate to the compulsion to start on a Monday, but it really doesn't matter. I found myself spending more than one day on certain "Days," plus there will inevitably be days over the next few weeks where you are forced to skip a day for whatever reason. I'd follow your intuition and start any day that you feel ready!

Good luck!

donavanf likes this.
  3. donavanf

donavanf Well known member

Thank you! I wish you much luck as well. :)

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I tend to advise people to do Alan's program before the SEP, because he suggested that doing that might be a good idea. His logic is that his program gives people skills to be kinder to themselves. With all of the journaling in the SEP, it may be helpful to have those skills under your belt.

With that said, everyone is different, and I'd love to hear other's perspectives on the question.

k0herr04 and donavanf like this.