1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ben gay feeling on skin?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by jhshiu, Sep 21, 2018.

1. jhshiu

jhshiu New Member

hi all

I’ve been fighting an influx of nerve related symptoms with history of tms.

Anyone ever experience a menthol/Ben gay type sensation on body?

My hip suddenly hurt yesterday (after a long day of nervousness due to a training class) and now I feel like I have Ben gay on my right hip down to my knee....and now on my outer left thigh.

This is throwing me for s loop. In the last few months - cramping, pins/neeedles, tingling/pain in feet/hands, headache, anxiety, sleep disturbances.

Please respond to this new symptom. Thank you!

2. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

I have had painful skin on and off since May. What I mean is that my skin feels sunburned, whisker rubbed, carpet burned, stingy, punchy, almost like I have a heated seat on...

3. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Sometimes skin on my hips and back is sensitive for touch, slightly hurtful. It always vanishes after s9me days, I don't pay much attention.

4. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

How are you feeling these days? What are you doing to get better?

5. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

I don’t consider this skin sensitivity to be a symptom. And I do nothing. As I said it just vanishes after some days. It’s not something that happens often, maybe twice a year. I think it is in the normal range of bodily feelings.

6. Harzee

Harzee Peer Supporter

What symptoms have you overcome? How did you do it?

7. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. Even regular dermatologists, unschooled in TMS, almost all agree that skin issues are brought on by emotional issues.
    I've had it move around on my body, where certain sections of skin burn and tingle and feel very sensitive to the touch.
    All our nerve endings go to the surface of our bodies, which is our skin.
    It's TMS. Keep going. It may leave that area and move to another, but it's still TMS.

Have a good Sunday, all.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. mags

mags New Member

9. mags

mags New Member

I have the same issue. Tingly, burning feeling on my legs. I am trying to ignore it, but it is difficult. Took a walk and do not feel it at all when walking.
    I am treating it as tms though not a lot written on it as,a symptom.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  10. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

"Before Sarno" I used to get what might have been something like sciatic pain that emanated from one buttock, down the back of one leg, and into my foot, which then would feel exactly like I had applied Ben Gay or Icy Hot to it. Weird. And it's one of a number of long-standing symptoms that simply disappeared "After Sarno" and never happened again. There are others that I still deal with on occasion, but that's not one of them. Also weird, eh?

Remember that the brain is the one that creates all sensations in our bodies - for whatever reason. And as many possible sensations as there are, is the same number of possible TMS symptoms that there can be. Just because muscle or joint pain happen to be the most common set of symptoms that are focused on in the literature, doesn't mean that your brain isn't capable of creating a brand-new symptom specifically designed to keep YOU worrying and in fear.

Let me know if I have to re-write that double-negative so it's more straightforward :confused:

Harzee, MWsunin12 and jhshiu like this.
  11. jhshiu

jhshiu New Member

Thank you, @JanAtheCPA .

I’ve also been fighting hand tremor, muscle spasm, nerve pain, etc.

Sometimes I get these “surges” which is a cascading array of symptoms, one after another. It’s left hand tremor, racing heart, rumbling stomach, teeth tightening, etc. it can last an hour (switching back/forth between symptoms) or a few minutes.

Have you ever experienced these surges? I can feel it coming on and the anxiety from it,
    Can make it that much worse.

Thank you.
    Jennie

12. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Okay, Jennie - you have to stop wasting your time and energy trying to find out if others are experiencing your exact set of symptoms! Doing that is a big fat distraction, and it's EXACTLY what your brain wants you to be doing, so that you don't do the emotional work necessary to actually recover.

Do you remember the distraction part of Dr. Sarno's theory? It's 100% on the money, as far as I'm concerned.

As always, we remind people that we are not medical or health professionals here - so you need to be sure that you've been thoroughly checked out and that the reason you're here is because you suspect that your symptoms are caused by what we still conveniently call TMS in honor of Dr. Sarno - but is really a huge category of emotionally-based symptoms created by our fearful primitive brains.

You've been a member for a long time and it appears that you have accepted that your symptoms are TMS for an equally long time - but what have you ever done about it? I don't see any indication that you ever did the SEP, for example. We have two free programs - but for you I would recommend the Structured Educational Program because it breaks down the activities into small bites that can be done when you have time - although I would recommend trying to do at least a few days each week so you don't lose momentum.

Knowledge is not enough. To truly recover, you MUST do the emotional work. We all need to do the emotional work, especially if you think you don't have anything emotional to deal with. Believe me - and this is the part of Dr. Sarno's theory that goes back to Freud - Freud had it right when he said that we ALL have childhood shit to deal with, no matter how wonderful we believe that our childhoods were. Mine was pretty damn ideal - and the shit I uncovered was, in fact, not at all earth-shattering - but it was there, nonetheless, because that seems to be part of the human condition.

Also, have you ever read Hope and Help For Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes? The way you describe your symptoms, it sounds like anxiety and the equivalent of panic attacks are a big issue for you - and Claire Weekes is the solution. This book, written in 1969, has innumerable people over the years, myself included.

Feel free to read my profile story, booklist, and bookmarked posts.

~Jan

13. Rosebud

Rosebud Peer Supporter

I get weird "surges" sometimes too. Sometimes, they're very short and set off by a word ("stress", "emotion", "feel", that kind of thing) They're really so short that I don't even have the time to choose if I'm going to let them be or do something or panic or whatever. It's like half a shiver or something, and then someone (but who? must be me, right?) throws a lid on it and it feels incomplete, somehow. Like something wanted to come out and it was blocked, almost instantly.

And then there's what happens when I (try to) meditate. In the beginning, meditating made me calm down, plain and simple. After a couple of weeks, the tears started, again triggered by words that point to feeling and emotions. For the people who use Headspace, it's the bit where you have to feel your body in general, before you start the body scan. Tears would flow, but no sobbing, and I was still able to sit still. I was aware of the fact that this could happen and it wasn't a bad thing and I was able to just let it be. Right now, it's not tears, it's uncontrollable shaking. I just can't keep still. That used to be the easy part for me! I would sit totally still, with a million thoughts racing through my mind. I can no longer do that. I'm actually shaking in my chair and my mind is still racing, of course, and I'm crying too. For the first time in my (admittedly quite short) meditating career, I've had to end a meditation before it was finished, because I was jumping out of my skin. I hate it so much. I can't even really tell whether it's restlessness or anxiety, but it feels very physical. It starts in my stomach, my abs get all tight, something bubbles up through my body, and when it reaches my eyes, it all comes out as tears. After a while, it subsides, but I don't really feel better or calmer. Strangely, I might feel a lot better about half an hour later. Weird.

To me, it feels like my body is trying to tell me something, but part of me is resisting that.