1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Back pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Kev74, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

To make a long story short, my back on my left side has been giving me a lot of grief this year. The doctor tells me its a muscle spasm. What happens is the muscles tighten up and cause a lot of discomfort. It makes it hard to concentrate on my schoolwork and enjoy life. I have been so focused on this back pain that I have felt miserable lately. I'm sure my emotions play a part. Last semester there was no back pain, but I did have an annoying eye twitch that wouldn't go away. Well, the twitch is gone but now my back is killing me. It lends distracted to the idea that my mind is trying to keep me distracted.

So, I have read enough about stress to know TMS is real. I know from personal experience that stress can produce real physical symptoms. I’ve been to the doctor and chiropractor so I know I am physically fine. I know there is no structural problems that should be causing my back to tense up. I also know I do have stress and anxiety issues, so I am confident that TMS is playing a part in my back pain. I have decided to follow the Structured Educational Program to deal with my emotions and inner turmoil. Of course in the back of my mind there is always the worry that it won’t work. However, I’m determined to succeed and start enjoying my life again.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Key. Welcome to this wonderful web site and to your start of the SEProgram. You sound still a little like you do not believe totally in emotions causing your back pain,e ven though you have been checked out and nothing structural has been found. It is common for those in your situation to have some doubt about the TMS Mind-body connection, because we have been brainwashed all our lives by doctors and television ads that pills, gadgets, or surgery will heal our back and other pain. Thank heaven more people and doctors are believing in the mind having a strong effect on our body.

I think TMS is not only playing a part in your back pain, emotions are the main cause of it. Journaling in the SEProgram will help you to discover those harmful emotions.

Be happy, be glad, be thankful you have decided to come here and be helped by the forums and wonderful people here.

3. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

Thank you for your reply Walt. I do believe my emotions play a part. How much of a part I'm unsure. I tend to be anxious by nature and not very good at managing my stress. It would make a lot of sense that it is TMS, although my rational mind always wants to look for alternative explanations.