1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Week 0 Back pain that started last Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by aces0730, Nov 18, 2017.

1. aces0730

aces0730 Peer Supporter

injured my back a year ago while cleaning the house and preparing for Thanksgiving Day. I cleaned for 8 hours straight. I have a husband and a teenage son, a job and responsibilities. I used to be able to have house beautiful all the time, but after my son came along and going back to work, I found it harder and harder to keep up. I let things go, cleaning when I need to.

After doing 8 loads of laundry folding it, vacuuming, steam mopping hardwood floors, dusting, cleaning china, and setting a table I sat down and felt this sharp pulling pain where the top of my iliac crest meets my back muscle, I was taking deep breaths like in labor because that pain was intense. I said, oh no, "what did I do?" I immediately got ice and prayed it would go away. How the hell was I going to host Thanksgiving dinner.

The next day the pain was even more intense. I had to cut off 3 pairs of control top pantyhose to hold everything in so I go host the dinner. Thank God my husband was doing the cooking, but I still had to help him prepare.

I did my best to keep the pain hush. The day after Thanksgiving, I had to go into Boston for a Celtics game in pain. I kept it to myself so I wouldn't ruin the day for my son.

I've been to countless PT appointments, where I got better only to have the pain come again. I've tried chiropractic and spent $4000 there. I'm at my wits end. It's a year later and I can't get out of this pain cycle. The pain is in an area called the Quadratus lumborum.

I have heard of John Sarno and started reading the Mind Body Prescription and the Divided Mind. I found Nicole Sachs while searching for therapists.

I am using both Nicole's program and this program. Nicole, is are a breath of fresh air and knowing that I am not alone with this is comforting. I just wish I could talk to someone on the phone to hear a voice to tell me I'm going to be okay. I've noticed that as I'm doing the writing some of my pain dials down, but maybe an hour or so later it dials right back up. I don't know if this is "normal"

I have a jerk for a boss, it's our busy season, my son is turning 18 and will be off to college next September. I have gained 20 pounds over this injury and I'm at my wits end. I feel like taking a bottle of pills and ending it. Thanksgiving is next week and it's the 1 year anniversary of the disaster of when back pain took hold of my life. I so want to call in sick, but I've used 3 of my 5 sick days and we are at the busiest time of the year.

I am guessing it's my perfectionism, being a goodist and mental stress that's causing this.

Are there any TMS doctors in the Boston Area

I need help.

Thanks,

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Aces, I'm so sorry you're struggling like this! I don't know about Boston, but Alan Gordon's Pain Psychology Center is geared towards remote therapy, and someone here said it's very affordable (I think I pay more per hour for personal training). Please give them a try! We're pulling for you, girl.