1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Back pain gone, chest area NOW!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jennyb13, Oct 18, 2015.

1. jennyb13

jennyb13 Newcomer

Wondering if I am on the right track.... In May, my right breast started to have a weird sensation. I went for a mammogram and ultrasound and everything came back okay. I had severe anxiety before I went for my tests and after (still do). The weekend after my mammagram, I ran a 5k race and some how "hurt" my shoulder. I went to the chiropractor (no help) for a period of time, no deformities noted, went to 2 gp's for second opinions of the muscle strain in my shoulder area (I assumed cancer). I also received a blood test to try ease my mind. My initial pain muscle strain went away with physical therapy, but then started to develop trigger points all through my back, neck, and shoulders. Very, very tense muscles, etc. I have had muscle relaxants perscribed, Xanax prescribed, trigger point injections, massages, etc. I have focused on Dr. SARNO'S books for the last month or two. I read every book once and started rereading them again. I journal daily, I try to mediate daily, staying away from massages, and started running again, etc. Doing all the basics. My back has drastically decreased within the past week, however the weird breast sensation is back. My pain has moved all over within the last two months. I have a lot of fear of cancer in general, mostly breast cancer due to losing loved ones and friends to it. It is normal for the pain after 5 months to go back to the very original scare which caused all my back, neck, and shoulder pain? I am ready to conquer this, but I need some reassurance. I am 33 years old, no previous health issues, but since my scare, my health anxiety has went through the roof. Can I get through this? Am I on the right track? I don't expect miracles to happen over night either!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jenny, and welcome! It sure sounds like you landed in the right place to explore these questions.

In TMS,this is totally normal. Your brain remembers everything, and the tricky part of your brain, which is working hard to keep your deep dangerous emotions repressed, will keep going back to the symptoms that scared you the most, just to keep you on your toes and on the alert for danger,not wallowing in emotions. The more you do this work,the more desperately it will try.

You might like to read The Great Pain Deception by Steve Ozanich. We sometimes call it the encyclopedia of TMS, plus it's a compelling story of Steve's own recovery from debilitating symptoms.

And if you're not doing one of the free programs on the wiki, they are highly recommended!

beachgirl likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jenny. Fear, as in that you worry you may have cancer, can create a lot of TMS pain. It is a typical example of catastrophizing.

I suggest you Google for some articles on conquering fear and watch some videos on Youtube.
    You might like this one: Reprogramming Your Brain to Overcome Fear."

Don't think the worst. Think that the pain is "just" another way your subconscious wants you to discover the emotions that are causing you pain.
    The Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site, can help you with that.

beachgirl likes this.