1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Back Again!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by HEADshr1nker, Jan 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. HEADshr1nker

HEADshr1nker New Member

I've been a member of this site since July 2014, now 42, reasonably fit - cycled 60 miles a few months ago and can easily cycle 20. Convinced 95% now that I have TMS (I have the TMS personality traits and suffer from Anxiety) but finding it hard to convince others.

I have no idea why I have this really, I'm a very lucky man with an incredible stable family and very little to actually worry about. I don't bother pursuing the Doctor/alternative therapy route anymore although my friends and family want me to, a friend recently recommended a great back surgery Doctor and recommended I had Cortisone injections (I told her about TMS, I think she will be giving it a try soon as she had the injections three years ago and the pain funnily enough has returned).

Lower back/buttock/leg ache still pretty much constant with some days better than others. I seem to be going through another difficult time at the moment (for no apparent conscious reason) and I'm finding the experience all consuming. I take Naproxen/Ibuprofen now and again when needed and find putting a hot water bottle on my back area helps.

About to restart the Structured Educational Program again and try to do it properly this time as I didn't try journaling last time. I go to pilates once a week, listen to Dr Claire Weekes audiobook (Hope and Help for your Nerves really resonates with me), read Dr Sarno books and listen to the Buddhify meditation app on my iphone for support.

Just to add, I still find it amazing that this still seems to be news to the medical profession and general public. I seem to come across friends, family and work colleagues who I identify with having some form of TMS who know nothing about it. Plus some people out there seem to be profiteering from providing psychosomatic treatment (i.e. programs, books, DVDs, audiobooks etc). I guess that where the 5% skepticism still comes from.

Sorry about the title of the post, I was trying to be clever! :)

I'd really appreciate any help/guidance/advice from anyone here.

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Shrinker

I agree with you about people trying to profit from our tms issues which does leave a stain on the whole picture of healing, but with that aside there are real people who are giving there a lot of there time and energy to help our community get better. Any info on this site is real and helpful to all.

3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Agreed Boston, we are all very fortunate on this site, there are so many wonderful Professionals who have a wealth of knowledge and are always encouraging, supportive and helpful.

In the grand scheme of things, the TMS approach is still far more beneficial and cheaper than repeat visits to Drs for prescriptions. once you are armed with knowledge and some tools.

I just wanted to thank everyone on this site for making it a place you can open up and know that you will not be judged.

Ellen and Boston Redsox like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mike. Hope you're having a jolly holiday. Mine was busy but fun, with family and friends, both
    visiting them and they visiting me.

Hey, I judge you. But as being a very nice guy and caring person. Have a great new year.

5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

:) Hello my good friend, it's nice to hear from you Walt. I'm glad you are having a fabulous and stress free time.

Thank you Walt, that means alot coming from you - you are a very good and likeable person yourself.

All the best for 2015.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

The new year in Chicago has started out with sleet and a little snow and the forecast is for subzero tomorrow.
    So okay, I stay indoors and think spring.

I'm having fun finding ways to cut my electric bill... turning off appliances (tvs, radios, lamps, etc.) when not needed.
    Amazing how much I had on without needing it. Now when I want it, I turn it on. Most of the time, it's all off.

Annie knows this. She doesn't plug in anything.