1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Awesome new article on Salon about the power of the mind

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Aug 29, 2015.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I have a cool app called Pocket which sends me an email once a week with interesting articles. This one is 100% right up our alley: The Burn Surgeon: How Anger Can Impede Healing

The article profiles Dr. Dabney Ewin, a New Orleans surgeon (now retired) at the Tulane University School of Medicine, specializing in burns - and achieving remarkable success using hypnosis and/or what sounds like guided meditations. I highly recommend reading the whole article (it's not as long a it seems - the article about Dr. Ewin is followed by a profile of John Templeton, the famous investor and founder of The Campaign for Forgiveness Research).

People, I'm telling you - if you are having a hard time believing that the work we do here can't possibly have any relevance to real physiological conditions, including serious injury, you have to read this.

Here are a few highlights from the article (which seems to be excerpted from Megan Feldman Bettencourt's book "Triumph of the Heart: Forgiveness in an Unforgiving World"):

...(Dr. Ewin) noticed that people coming into the ER with burns were often very angry, and not without reason... He concluded that their anger may have been interfering with their ability to heal by preventing them from relaxing and focusing on getting better...

..."Their attitude affected the healing of their burns, and this was particularly true of skin grafts. With someone who’s real angry, we’d put three or four skin grafts on, but his body would reject them.” Whenever a patient seemed angry, Ewin would help them forgive themselves or the person who hurt them, either through a simple conversation or through hypnosis.

...Once he started trying hypnosis on his burn patients, he noticed a difference immediately. If he could reach them within half an hour of the injury, the hypnotic suggestions of “coolness and calm” seemed to halt the continued burning response of the skin that usually occurs for twelve to twenty-four hours, leading to speedier recoveries...

...“I’d say, ‘You can still pursue damages through an attorney. You’re entitled to be angry, but for now I’m asking you to abandon your entitlement and let it go, to direct your energy toward healing, and turn this over to God or nature or whoever you worship. It’s not up to you to get revenge on yourself or someone else. When you know at a feeling level that you’re letting it go, raise your hand.’ Then I’d shut up, they’d raise their hand, and I’d know that skin graft was gonna take.”...

Maribel, mike2014 and Zumbafan like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting this. I really believe that forgiving can end our pain. I discovered through journaling in the Structured Educational Program that I was repressing years of anger because my parents divorced when I was 7. Journaling helped me understand them better and I was able to forgive them, which ended my severe back pain.

We may be able to forgive, but then may have a hard time forgetting. When that happens, I pray that God will forgive them and bring them peace. I toss the ball to God, as it were, and let Him handle it from there.

If we don't forgive, the hurt and pain goes on. To forgive brings us peace.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Ironically, I recently wrote that I think that the concept of forgiveness is misunderstood and often misused. I believe that understanding is more important than just blanket forgiveness. I still think we do not have to forgive the unforgivable behavior of others. However, we can forgive the fact that they are human and imperfect.

I also believe that self forgiveness is the most important thing to accomplish.

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks ever so much for sharing this Jan.

JanAtheCPA likes this.