1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Atypical Trigeminal Neurolgia or what?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by deny, May 17, 2022.

1. deny

deny Peer Supporter

Hi all,

I have been reading about TMS for over 1,5 but haven't made much progress. I want to speak with you and hope you want to read my story and my answer my questions in the end.

Before I start, I want to tell you that I have all the personalities for TMS.

My story:

In 2013 I did a breast augmentation due to my poor self-confidence, in the same crank my parents were in a deep crisis and until the autumn of 2015 they divorced. It took so hard on me. In connection with that, I can now look back and realize that it was about then mine pelvic pain problems began. My boyfriend had also dumped me 3 months earlier so I guess this can be a connection to.

After a lot of visit, I was diagnosed with IC, urethritis and pelvic pain. March 2016 I meet my current boyfriend and I want to be honest and talk about that I had BIG trust issues at this time. My father and my ex boyfriend haved just leave me.

One day my current boyfriend in 2016 did go to a festival, under that week I started to get pain in the side of my throat. I guess that was the SCM muscle. So after a couple of days I start to get very sore in my right jaw and since the summer of 2016 I have had extremely severe pain in my jaw, I have even had surgery for any infections where my wisdom teeth once sat because it was thought that it could be
    the problem. I want to say that I tested most things in natural healing and tried to avoid the doctor as much as possible. In the autumn of 2017, I come to a page that deals with breast implant disease and I immediately think that this is what I suffer from. IT MUST BE THE ANSWER!

Here comes a deeper depression and anxiety attacks that I don't want to take out my implants and write many messages a day that my boyfriend will leave me. I'm in some kind of life crisis. Time goes by, but I decide I need the surgery. In the autumn of 2018, just a month before I went into surgery, I started to get a very sore tooth in my right upper tooth. This pain is one of the worst I have experienced and
    no dentist, neurologist found anything wrong, but thought so due to my jaw problems and was asked to start using a brace. It didn't help at all.

This 24/7 toothache/nerve pain has haunted me since 2018 and the jaw pain from 2016. I still have extreme pain all the time. What can make the pain go down but not dissapear is when I eat, have a lot of fun or sleep.

Does this sound like TMS? What can I do? Why am I not getting better? There is no longer any fear that I have MS or a tumor as I checked this with the help of X-rays but am afraid that you missed a crack in the tooth or the like but in that case it has been missed every time.

Im so lost....

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Reading about TMS? Did you read a book by Dr Sarno? This is highly recommended if you have not.
    Personality for TMS is a big indicator that doing the TMS work to better understand yourself will go a long way in helping you reduce tension and begin to see the patterns that keep you in fear, anxiety and worry.
    There are two free programs here you can use to help you see these patterns.
    Pain Recovery is intense but fewer days. Lot of listening to recordings. It focuses on the reduction of fear towards your symptoms.
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program)

The Structured Educational Program is longer, and you do more, like journaling, to really start looking into your personality and thought habits which contribute to inner stress and symptoms. This program helps you feel your emotions , things we often try not to feel or think about. https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program (Structured Educational Program)

You do one lesson every day from one program (lessons can be long, somedays I take a few days to do one).
    We din’t diagnose TMS here, that is for you to decide. That you are here, realize your personality could contribute to symptoms and that your mood contributes to your pain level will help you decide.

Good luck!

3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweetheart, this is definitely TMS. Read my story and previous posts because I have written extensively about this. Forgive me not penning more but I recently lost my mum (which prompted a horrific ATN flare-up) and I need much quiet time but I simply could not leave you hanging.

Also read @Patrisia who overcame this. She generously gave an interview to Dan Buglio on Facebook. It’s a private group so you’ll need to join.

Love

plum x

Sterling likes this.
  4. deny

deny Peer Supporter

Hi Plum,

First of all I want to say sorry for your loss. ❤️ So take your time.

The second think I would like to say is that I had search and try to find you for so long and I did start to cry when I saw that your answered me. It mean alot!

I dont know how to handle the tooth pain. Is constant a throbbing kind of feeling and it actually feels like vacuum in the tooth. Its horrid. The TMJD and neck pain is also so bad. How can I be sure? How did you find out that TMS was your thing? I have so many questions but take your time.

Love!

Balsa11 likes this.
  5. phillytms

phillytms Newcomer

I am new to all of this but I can tell you that I have dealt with TMJ related issues off and on. On three occasion it has been severe. Each time during a time of stress (Work, Lyme and COVID). My issues are TMJ pain, tension, tinnitus, and weird muscle twitches in my jaw joint area. I had X-rays, MRI of the brain and CT scan. Everything comes out clear.

I found TMS because of ongoing back pain and immidialaty made the connection to my TMJ issues. I am still learning and planning to find a therapist in the near future as I am sure TMS is at play with my TMJ issues and perhaps even my back

Balsa11 likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@deny, it seems to me that you need to start "doing the work" as we say here.

You've seen plenty of medical professionals, so it's apparent that your symptoms are under the heading of "they can't find anything wrong".

Do you really WANT them to find something wrong? The people who are most successful at recovery answer NO to that question.

The people who find relief or recovery understand that continuing to search for a medical answer is holding them back from recovery, and they turn instead towards a psychological and emotional answer.

Stop reading, stop looking for yet another medical opinion, and stop trying to find the perfect answer from someone with your symptoms, because the psychological path is completely different for every person.

Make a commitment to do a mindbody-based program, or find a mindbody-based therapist.

Without taking action, you will only continue to spin your wheels.

Good luck,
    ~Jan

Balsa11 likes this.
  7. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Maintain good oral hygiene + relax jaw and facial muscles(neck/jaw/and teeth all hurt with TMJ + emotional healing+ mind body/somatic experiencing therapy/TMS+ general therapy and getting emotional support when you get stuck. Pain like this is more of a self care thing than a structural issue since that has already been ruled out. The pain might ebb and flow in waves or move to another part of the body, but you can respond in a similar mind body way. Also make time for loved ones and/or pets, and reconnect back to things you love.

8. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Those are both TMS equivalents, symptom imperative can happen anywhere in the body.

9. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have been working through this right now... it is TMS. I just wasted a bunch of money on a root canal I didn't need.

The more time I spend reading the text, keeping a note pad and looking for the stuff I have 'fallen asleep' ignoring, the better i have felt. I can also make it worse by ; reading the news, talking to my ex; buying into some anger that isn't mine to kick around (self righteousness)