1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Anyone else have trouble distinguishing virus vs TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by beep, Dec 19, 2019.

1. beep

beep Peer Supporter

Had many symptoms of a head cold, including cough, congestion, headaches, mild fatigue, etc. Kind've ignored it figuring it was most likely TMS and pushed through a bit. Had a terrible night of sleep followed by a long travel day (20 hours of driving) then went on a hard run yesterday and feel way worse. Ended up coughing up a bit of blood today and now have a nasty cough. Feel generally fatigued and beat as well. Kicking myself a bit over my misreading the situation but trying not to worry. I'm certainly obsessing over the symptoms and have realized that now. Guess I just gotta relax and let the virus pass.

2. mbo

mbo Well known member

hi beep,
    virus always might be .... but are the perfect scapegoat for many doctors. Think about your deepest emotional landscape, without fear.
    Take care!

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I started believing in my ability to keep my immune system strong, and to fight viruses before they take hold, YEARS before I discovered Dr. Sarno to deal with my lifelong TMS symptoms.

That being said, if our immune systems become weakened for whatever reason, which can include emotional stress, a virus can still take hold. At some point you have to use common sense, and treat the infection with hydration, heat (we get fevers because heat kills viruses) and rest. The sooner you take proactive measures, the faster you can beat the virus, and you can shorten the illness. That's my belief, and also my experience of several decades.

I firmly believe that forewarned is forearmed - so when I know that there's a virus going around, I mentally gear myself up to fight it, and take extra measures, including what is undoubtedly the placebo use of vitamin C - but I view that as harnessing the power of the placebo effect, which is real. That being said, any of us can be struck down by a virus we don't know is out there - at which point it only makes sense to take care of it properly.