1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Any thoughts please re anxiety?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Zumbafan, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Hi, I joined this forum as it helped me a lot, and I like to help others, when asked. I feel so much better these days and am enjoying my life. I am aware of how I am being, and remember to feel so I don't have to deal. This afternoon while cooking, I had a panic attack! I was catering for a large number, thought I was OK about it, did some brain work in case, recognised the pleasure seeking child in me. So, I am wondering what happened? Is the TMS beast just being itself, or must I have more conflict to address? It has done its job and scared me though.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Zumbafan. Sorry you had a panic attack while catering for a group of people.
    That's typical TMS for you. It sends symptoms of all kinds where it thinks it will most get your attention.

Don't worry about it. I've had panic attacks when I've been under stress and it's no fun, but not fatal.
    Some deep breathing and telling myself it's "just" TMS gets me relaxed again.

Your attack is your subconscious mind telling you it wants you to work more on your
    repressed emotions and/or perfectionist and "goodist" personality.

You're a professional cook, so your perfectionism needs to be modified. You know you do the best job anyone could,
    so try to enjoy it more. Live in the present moment not that you have so much work to do, but how you enjoy cooking.

If you haven't begun the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum here, I hope you will
    because it will help you discover what causes your anxiety. It really works!

3. Zumbafan

Thank you so much for replying Walt. You hit the nail on the head with perfectionism...that was underlying my self imposed stress!
    Since healing from TMS, I have felt like the psalmist, with my God I can scale a wall, but realise I am not wonder woman. lol

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Zumbafan,

I know that Dr. Sarno talks about anxiety as a TMS symptom. Often when we treat TMS successfully, anxiety arises. Anxiety can be an indicator that unconscious material is beginning to come to the surface, and it is "scaring us." The anxiety itself takes our attention away from the deeper feelings, too.

You might benefit from finding more about your feelings through journaling or psychotherapy, or the SEP program. In any case, yes, there is a clear connection between TMS and anxiety, and knowing this, and the way Walt has explained things, maybe this helps ease your concern a little. Panic attacks are a bitch! Your first step is to use everything you learned about TMS, and treat the anxiety and panic as a TMS symptom. Then perhaps see what other kind of support you would like to give yourself.

Andy B

5. Zumbafan

Thanks Andy. I did a lot of journalling several years ago. Lately, since gaining a better understanding of how most of my life I repressed, denied, avoided truth, and buried it in my body. So before sleep I have been asking for truth to be made known, as it is the separation from the truth that causes suffering.

6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes Zumafan,
    I used something like that a lot as a mantra: "I am willing to feel my feelings." I think this is a good practice, to send a message that it is OK to feel, vs repress. I think your words of asking for truth is even deeper...
    Good Luck.
    Andy