1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Any nerve pain recovery stories?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tgirl, Dec 10, 2015.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Introverted, I reread your post, the one where you explained your situation and it really does sound like stress brought your symptoms on. It is the same for me. Initially I had a horrible flu and I hurt my lower back and the same day my symptoms began. They went away quite quickly, however. This last bout began after a very protracted period of stress. It was almost like my body couldn't handle it any more. I just have to figure out how to turn off my internal switch..

introverted likes this.
  2. introverted

introverted Peer Supporter

tgirl, are your symptoms constant, or do they come and go? Is the intensity always the same, or does it wax and wane?

3. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

When I am reading in bed at night I feel almost totally normal. It doesn't bother me while I am sleeping either and exercise seems to lessen its intensity. Warm weather is better for me too. If it is freezing out it hurts more. A couple of doctors said they thought it was anxiety induced.. My symptoms went away totally a couple of times for a couple years. This last bout has been long, but there is no more testing to be done.

4. introverted

Have you learned to accept them or do you find yourself still becoming afraid and frustrated by them?

5. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

That is probably my problem, sometimes I accept it and other times I don't.

ali90 likes this.
  6. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I have a lot of the same stuff although I do not feel them at all times of the day. My twitches are all over the place and they wax and wane. I hate them but have noticed when I can put them down to a benign cause I can get better sleep, which i'm sure helps. You aren't alone introverted. I'm OCD abt my health, which doesn't help.

7. introverted

How long have you had this for, and have you made progress in reducing your symptoms? Mine have been at the same intensity for 17+ months now, non-stop, every minute of every day.

I notice that when I'm deeply meditating, the symptoms lessen a lot. I don't feel them when I'm running or sleeping either. They're usually the worst when I'm sitting still with nothing to do.

8. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

when I'm active I don't feel them but they can start as soon as i stop moving. Started in Oct 2014 with tremors/pain, twitching in Nov 2014. Some days they feel like they are lessening, some days not. The symptoms have not seemed to have gotten any worse than they were at the peak which was in Jan-Mar 2015; in fact, my hand/arm pain is definitely less than it was when this whole thing started. Of course, I wasn't worried abt that, it's the twitches that have my attention. They don't wake me from sleep but when I wake up in the am or before dozing off I can usually feel them here and there, like you they are most actively felt when stationary. I've noticed a few times when I was sitting and having a deep conversation that even though I was not moving I talked for up to an hour w/o feeling any twitching or other symptoms other than minor hand pain. Really strange but prob a good thing.

9. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Mdh, I am wondering why this sort of thing starts up in people. Were you going through anything stressful, or did you hurt yourself when it began?

10. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I was stressing for the past few years prior to that abt my health, worried almost all the time, exercising a lot and not getting enough sleep. You can read my first post, that explains the more recent events leading up to my symptoms.

11. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Numbness/tingling in my arms/hands/legs is one of the symptoms I haven't managed to get rid of yet. It definitely ebbs and flows depending on my anxiety levels. There's no doubt in my mind that this is tms/mbs. I think it's a matter of continuing doing the work; overcoming fear and worry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
    Boston Redsox likes this.
  12. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Overcoming the fear/worry is key Simplicity, I agree.........life is so much better when I am not worrying. I unfortunately have the idea that if I can stop worrying for a few days that all these symptoms will disappear, and things don't happen that way when the nervous system is involved, it takes a lot longer.

13. Adventureseeker

Adventureseeker Peer Supporter

Hello,
    I know this thread dates from a while back, but I'm interested to know whether there were any improvements from anyone? I have nerve pain in both hands/arms/elbows, and my EMG resulted normal. My fingers are weak and I have a muscle contracting below my pinky finger. I'm waiting to have a neck MRI but I am well aware that the pain started during a VERY stressful period in my life. It stresses me out even more because I cannot resume my favourite sports (rock climbing) because of it...

14. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

It's been 6 years for me and no change I just live the best I can some days are better than others

15. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

All the recovery stories are nerve pain recovery stories. Don't fall into this trap, it's deep. Everyone is the same in this respect, no one is unique.

16. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Thx Steve for the encouraging words...I am making this a up hill climb to recovery and it shouldn't be

17. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

You know what Steve, I really never thought of it like that. I like what you said- all recovery stories are nerve pain recovery stories. Thank you for that!

Boston Redsox likes this.
  18. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Hi TGirl, the healing process always comes from a deeper understanding of what is happening.

The understanding happens over a period of time, through patience. The pain always comes from nerves, but the sensation may be different to different people. It ranges from burning to tickling to itching. The brain's intent is to make you obsess and worry. So the more people talk about symptoms in health forums the happier the brain becomes.

The fuel that ignites healing is hope. From there you need to listen to what those who have healed are saying, and to be careful of what else you take to heart from others. Those who are healed found a way. Do you know what chicken soup for the soul is? It's a series of inspirational stories from ordinary people who found a way.

Pain and disease are a defense against truth. What is it telling you? Forget about the sensations, and look for the cause.

Steve

Allissa RS, MWsunin12, ali90 and 4 others like this.
  19. sarah555uk

sarah555uk Peer Supporter

I have your exact symptoms actually,. just in a different area:

Tingling (bugs/worms crawling under the skin), buzzing (cell phone on vibrate, bees under the skin), prickly, stinging, hot sparks, burning, sharp/pin-stabbing, electric shocks, pulsating (like a heartbeat in my feet), hot/cold flashes in the feet, feeling of phantom water droplets, twitching, itchy

I don't have the burning but our stories are so similar ..
    how are you by the way ? I can't seem to be able to message you at all

20. Adventureseeker

Adventureseeker Peer Supporter

My nerve pain was so intense that it was like I had electric shocks passing through my hands. It ALL went away, after I followed the structured program and learnt not to be afraid of it. Somehow nerve pain is more worrying because it feels less like an injury and more like a serious health problem, which is why maybe it might take longer to cure than other TMS pain. Don't despair ;-)

tgirl and sarah555uk like this.