1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Anxiety

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by nelsonaj, Jul 24, 2016.

1. nelsonaj

nelsonaj New Member

Earlier this week I decided re-read some of the recovery program and focused on the Outcome Independence section. I listened to a session where Alan Gordon talked about our measure of success being based on how little you care about the pain not on how little pain you actually have. It's about changing your relationship with the pain....seeing it as just a sensation instead of fearing it or being frustrated that it's there. So i felt like i was making progress with that. Then of course, as soon as the pain subsides, my anxiety rears its ugly head. I recognize that this has been a reoccuring pattern with me over the last several years since my dad passed away. It actually started with anxiety attacks not pain. When my pain got really bad, the anxiety went away. Now, true to habit, the pain is better and the anxiety is terrible. I don't know what to do about it. I actually took a xanax yesterday because I could not calm myself down. Today, I woke up feeling better but was soon in panic mode. Has anyone dealt with this? How can I use the TMS approach to get rid of this anxiety?

2. cp1

cp1 New Member

I'm very sorry you're dealing with such severe anxiety. I will be following this thread to see what others are able to share as I have been dealing with this for seven years now.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

It is very common for anxiety and/or depression to develop as soon as other TMS symptoms go away. This is a form of the symptom imperative, as anxiety and depression are TMS equivalents, so they should be treated in the same way as all TMS.They are both distractions. Dr. Schubiner wrote a book about this called Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression which is excellent. Also, Clare Weeks' books are highly recommended and consistent with TMS theory and practice.

If you put the word "anxiety" in the search box in the upper right corner you will find many threads on this forum about how to treat anxiety.

Hang in there. You can be free of both your pain and your anxiety.