1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Anxiety or depression anyone?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Pihagirl, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Pihagirl

Pihagirl New Member

I'm here on the forum because of going through years of anxiety and depression. I've been looking for answers for a long time and came across the TMS stuff through my husband who has used it very successfully to address a host of physical issues. For me though, I don't have much physical pain. But I do have asthma, skin problems that come and go, and I've been hit with insomnia pretty hard on and off since childhood, along with the anxiety and depression. Oh, and headaches for about 5 years.

I think that the TMS diagnosis is right on for me. What resonates is the subconscious emotions deemed as 'unacceptable'. And also I recognize that I'm a recovering goodist and a perfectionist too. It's slightly strange for me as the literature is so focused towards physical pain and symptoms, and as I've said, they are not so much what ails me. I did hear about a guy in one of the videos who used the program to address his anxiety, and I thought 'why not'? I'm totally game!

I also recognize that the type of home I grew up in, with a very unwell mother and emotionally challenged father has left me with a weak sense of my self, and a lowish self esteem. So I get that the recipe is ripe for TMS symptoms.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used the TMS program to improve their emotional health. I basically want to have more fun in life and start enjoying who I am! Enough of the 3am knot in the stomach!

Thanks so much.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Pihagirl,

I came to TMS theory and this Forum due to physical health issues, but I've found that the same techniques that are reducing my physical symptoms, have helped reduce anxiety and depression as well. We are talking Mindbody here, so there isn't really any difference in my opinion. The more I learn about TMS the more I realize that anxiety and depression are TMS equivalents, and Dr. Sarno has stated this in his books. The same concepts apply to these issues as to pain. Anxiety and depression appear to be distractions created by the unconscious to protect the conscious from experiencing unacceptable emotions. In my opinion, anxiety distracts by obsessing about the future, and depression distracts by obsessing about the past. The TMS techniques help by assisting us to live in the present moment and feel our emotions. This is where peace and joy can be found.

Pihagirl, I believe you are in the right place and will be helped by TMS techniques. I suggest using one of the Structured Educational Programs as a good place to start. And to keep reading and participating in the Forum. Let us know if you have questions, need support, or just to share your progress. You will find a wonderful community here.

welcomea

3. mossimina

mossimina New Member

Hi Phigirl I have been walking the walk for about 6 weeks. I have anxiety depression and pain that comes and goes. T his has been going on for about 15 years. But since I have entered this program I realize I have really been dealing with this all my life in one form or another. The story is long and I wont tell it now but Ellen is so right. "Disease is a disturbance at the core." Erick Erickson

4. Pihagirl

Pihagirl New Member

Thanks Ellen and Mossimina for your replies. It feels good to hear from you and to be on this journey. Thanks for the support! I'll stay connected to the forum as you suggest. I'm excited to start day 2....