1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 16 Anxiety and Fear

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MSZ812, Jun 6, 2015.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

To be honest, this week has been hell. I'm experiencing a huge increase in pain, and it's in a different location. Still in my shoulder area, but on the outside instead of the inside. The pain is radiating into my chest area. It's been 4 days with this pain. I called off work yesterday. Today, I barely made it through my shift. I'm scared that this pain will knock me out of work. I still believe it's TMS, but I feel less confident that I have the power to beat it. I find myself wishing that my "normal" pain would come back. At least I can live with that. I feel emotionally drained too. The SEP has stirred up a lot of emotions in me. I'm hoping it's for the best in the long term, but right now I feel all of these thoughts are intensifying my pain. I find myself crying a lot lately, which is not something I do very often.

Can someone give me hope that this is just a temporary thing? I feel defeated.

2. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Yes, it is just a temporary thing. Dr Sarno said "the most painful thing I know of in clinical medicine is TMS pain, which is ironic, as it is harmless".
    Your body is expressing what you don't know exists, or can't express verbally. You are OK. Don't think of yourself as a victim. Your emotions are trying to enter your consciousness, which is a good thing. Talk to your brain, take charge, assert yourself. Keep remembering you are OK.
    The hardest thing I had to do was let go of the fear of the pain. You can do it, just like so many others have done.
    Give thanks for Dr Sarno, and all the TMS doctors, therapists, etc., for all that they do, then find things in your life to be thankful for. This will shift your focus.
    You are OK.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Him MSZ812. Zumbafan has given you excellent advice and I echo it. TMS pain moves around and can intensify because it wants you to
    think psychological TMS and not worry that the pain is structural.

The pain is only temporary. The more you believe it is TMS, the faster you will heal. Journaling can be stressful because you are giving
    thought to emotions that may have been repressed for years. I learned through TMS journaling that I was holding in feelings of
    abandonment and insecurity since I was a child and my parents divorced when I was seven. Journaling helped me to realize
    they had TMS psychological pain that led to physical pain. Mom had migraine headaches and depression. Dad had severe back pain.
    I developed severe back pain two years ago and learned through TMS and Dr. Sarno, SEP and journaling, that my pain was from
    those childhood represssed emotions. Realizing that my parents had TMS that resulted in their divorce, I was able to forgive them,
    and forgiving led to my back pain going away.

The TMS journey is well worth the trip. It will not only heal your pain but give you more self-awareness and happiness than
    you ever dreamed possible.

While going through the SEP, remember to practice deep breathing and keep positive. Laugh, even though nothing may be funny.

MSZ812 likes this.
  4. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Thank you for the encouragement. The fear is very real and intense right now. It makes a lot of sense that the TMS is fighting back because I'm trying to deal with it. My fear right now is that the pain will keep me from working, and like most people I need the money.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi MSZ812,
    The strong emotional stuff is difficult, I know. I hope you can think of this as a deepening of contact with your self over time. It has its own rewards, very deep and rich, which are not apparent in the suffering. Try to be gentle with yourself. You are going through a lot. Find a way to do some simple things that are satisfying, and thank your Being for the strength to digest and experience suffering that has so long wanting to be seen and held. There is no doubt a deep healing happening. Hope these words help.
    Andy B.

6. Stella

Stella Well known member

MSZ celebrate... this is such good news. The mind is so powerful trying to distract you with pain ....and in a new place. This is what that sneaky TMS does.

Talk to that pain "I don't care how bad you hurt or what you do. ..I am not going to stop. I will win." "I CAN DO IT. YES I CAN". You tell yourself this numerous times each day. The pain is trying to keep you focused on the physical. Keep focusing back on the psychological.

You can do it. Yes you can.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

MSZ, Stella has it right. It isn't easy but when pain strikes us bad, we have to fight back positive by telling it that it won't stop us from healing.

When I have high anxiety that can bring on pain, I laugh at the pain. It's like holding a crucifix in front of a vampire to make it go away.
    God is our help, always.

Andy also has excellent advice. Find something to thank about or do that makes you happy. That will distract the pain.

MSZ812 likes this.