1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Another look!!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by PeterO, Mar 25, 2013.

1. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Hi Everyone.

Actually on Day3 but thought I might do short intro.

Have returned to TMS concept after an initial investigation in 2012.

Have purchased & read Dr Sarno's books & another by Howard Schubiner. Currently reading 'Pathways To Pain Relief' e-book by Dr Frances Sommer Anderson & Dr Eric Sherman. A worthwhile read. Also spend time trolling internet for TMS information or YouTube clip.

Feels like TMS 101.

I am both fascinated (& scared) by the TMS concept. I am currently home bound with chronic lower back issues and escalating anxiety. I am just hanging on! I have reached a critical stage in my pain history. TMS feels like a final vestige. Am needing some help with mental health issue relating to my pain complex & booked to see psychologist for some assistance. Unfortunately my appointment is not until 4 weeks. Enough time to squeeze in Structured Education Program.

Conceptually I can understand TMS but I am so full of physical/emotion body fear, including failed back surgery, that I am a bit reluctant to fully release attachment to my medical diagnosis. Also I have a litany of failed wellness attempts over the last 30 years so you think it should be easy.

All this said, here I am...

And you too.

Pete

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Pete - since you've had a failed surgery, you might be interested in this New Yorker article (which means it's LONG) by well-known medical writer Jerome Groopman, MD: http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2002/04/08/020408fa_FACT He's a fantastic writer.

I read his book The Anatomy of Hope, last summer, which was very interesting - and there's one section of the book devoted to his own failed back surgery and almost total disability, which he cured using mind-body theories similar to Dr. Sarno's (and he mentions Sarno briefly). It's been a while since I read this article, so I can't remember if it describes his own experience, but you can find descriptions of that elsewhere on the web.

One day, and one step at a time - you'll get there!

Jan

3. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Thanks Jan.

Need some affirmation today.

My little world is a bit bleak

Having great difficulty in transition in not taking any medication.
    And giving over to TMS approach. I have had 30 years of pain
    response to unravel.

Maybe I need to build up on my TMS units before making
    any change. Also re-engage with my Alexander Technique
    work.

Pete

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

My now-91-year-old mother did Alexander Technique for years - it saved her from debilitating lower back pain when she was in her 50s/60s (now I know what it really was, of course). A good adjunct to TMS awareness?

Hang in there, and as for meds, there's a lot of good advice from people here who've been there, done that (you might try a search on the topic).
    I'll still pop an Ibu every once in a while when I'm having a bad day, but in the old days, I had 5-Ibu headaches, so taking just 1 absolutely feels like success to me! So don't be too hard on yourself in that regard.

Jan