1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Ankle and lower leg pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Francis Sanchez, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Francis Sanchez

Francis Sanchez New Member

Hi guys am new to the forum and this is my first post. I guess I am the typical tms story backpain together with shoulder pain and allergies hit me in my late twenties went To all sorts of docs , had shoulder ops etc etc this lasted for 5 years were I could not do any sport or weight training. Long story short read the book about 5 times bought the DVD and was pain free and doing everything I ever dream of in about 3 months. Now I have been pain free for the past 6 years, in the mean time had 2 children changed job from finance to fire fighter and bought a new house. I have alway done wieght train througth my recovery and carried on doing ever since. Now here is the problem I started running the past year or so and my ankle and lower legs start to hurt during and after the run I am sort of scared the the pound is bad for your ankles and that conditioning is very difficult for me to shift! I am practically sure that it is tms but the pain does not go away! Any ideas .

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Francis and Welcome to the Peer Network,

It is great to hear that you have been able to have success before with this approach. This will give you a great starting point as you are already familiar with the basics. Having recurrences of symptoms, especially when life stresses increase, is rather common. This isn't to mean that you did something wrong the first time. It's just that as long as we are alive our mind and body will be connected, hence why we can have new symptoms pop up over time. Every once in a while I also notice a new symptom pop-up and yeah I do sort of obsess over it for a day or two, but then a lightbulb pops into my head and I realize it's just another TMS symptom. Once I identify it for what it is the symptom quickly fades away.

Of course sometimes having a relapse can take slighlty longer to recover from. You should check out Enrique's story. There seem to be a lot of similarities between it and what you are going through. From what you posted it sounds like you have under gone a lot of change recently. Any time you change careers (especially if it is to become a firefigher), have children, or buy a new house can set the stage for TMS. It may be helpful to look at each one of these changes and see how they have affected you on a psychological level.

The good part is that you can recover from this. You may just need to do a little TMS refresher. Posting on this forum is a great place to start as well. If you have any questions feel free to ask.