1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 And they said I had fibromyalgia....pff

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JDev1, Dec 9, 2017.

1. JDev1

JDev1 New Member

Hey Everyone,

I actually started reading Dr. Sarno's book last week, but only came across this site this past Sunday. I already read through the 21 day program and am working with a TMS therapist referred by Dr. Gordon, so my results may seem amazing(and they are), but I have a head start. Here's my story:

I have always been an extremely active person. I played sports in high school and college, also got into lifting the past 2years. I worked on computers and did real estate, but Feb of this year I started to get a lot of pain in my hands and knees. I didn't think much of it at first, but it started to spread into both arms, legs, neck, back, hips, and eventually my vision became blurry. I did all sorts of MRIs and blood tests, but the doctor's couldn't figure out what was wrong. I even did PT for 5 months, acupuncture, and probably saw 20+ doctors in every department. Things got so bad that I had to take time off work and would literally sit on a couch all day. At night I would hardly get sleep and used to take sleeping pills so I could at least get 3-4hours a night. I would wake up and hope it was all a dream, but every day the pain came back.

The doctor's said there was nothing they could do and labeled me as having "fibromyalgia". They gave me pain killers, sent me to chronic pain class, and said my hand pain will either "Go away or it wont". So at 25 I was so scared that this would be my life and that I would rather be dead. Luckily, my parents were so supportive and got me active. It hurt, but I kept pushing through the pain and at least started walking again. I tried finding books to help fix RSI when I came across an amazon comment that referred Dr. Sarno's book.

I didn't think much at first, but I decided to order it and try it out. I noticed so many similarities between me and what Dr. Sarno described, but I couldn't believe anything would fix me. I read it again and it really clicked for me. Then I came across this wiki page and also Fred Amir's book(his story was almost identical to mine). I knew this was my fix.

One week later and I'm at the gym jump roping, jogging, boxing and doing some light weights(I even typed this whole post on my own). I wouldn't say I'm 100%(probably around 75-80%) but I know there is so much stuff for me to apply still. I also have quite a stubborn mind and my anxiety makes it hard for me to think positively about most things. I'm going to learn as much as I can, continue to apply everything I've read, and push through this. All my main pain is gone, I really only have irritation in different spots(much better than pain).

Thanks to anyone who reads all this and let's stay strong. This site is a beautiful thing and we don't have to live in pain. I'm confident I'll become 100% better and so many of you will too