1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Am I really a TMS Candidate?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ali90, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ali90

ali90 New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm male and been down this TMS journey for about 2 month.Just a brief about myself,the pain actually started during my final year doing my bachelor degree.It was very mild until i graduated,the pain become quiet unbearable.GP diagnosed me with l5-s1 disc prolapsed with severe nerve compression in 2013.To be honest i'm not really in a lot of pain but i have to limit my activities.For instance i really like to play soccer but now i can't since it will cause me more pain. I've been through the conventional path with painkillers,pt but to no avail.It will help for a while than back to square one. Two months ago I discovered this TMS thing.I actually been cured for almost two weeks before i had a relapse.Regarding my personality, I don't actually fit the TMS profile.I'm no perfectionist,not really a people pleaser and had an awesome childhood.

My question to you guys,if i didn't really fit the general TMS profile,does it mean my problem is 100 % structural?

p/s Pardon my english as its not my mother tongue.I'm from Asia

Ines likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, ali. Your English is fine. You may not be a perfectionist or a people pleaser or had an "awesome" childhood, but it looks to me like your pain is still emotional and not structural. Disc problems often do not cause pain. The pain comes on because something is worrying you. That's easy to understand in these stressful times, and living in Asia has its own stresses.

If you possibly can, increase your belief in TMS and that your pain is not in any way or degree structural. It most likely isn't.

I suggest you go back to playing soccer, but mildly. Steve Ozanich, author of The Great Pain Deception, one of the best TMS healing books, says he healed from multiple severe pain by believing in TMS and playing golf despite the pain. His book tells about it and is very inspirational for TMS healing.

Ines likes this.
  3. Ines

Ines Well known member

I agree with Walt about the Great Pain Deception. In fact, the author mentions many times that people with TMS swear they are happy people. In the author's experience they more they believe that they are happy and have an outward smiling and happy disposition, the more they are unaware of their unconscious emotions of anger, rage, and frustration. Could that be you?

4. ali90

ali90 New Member

Hi Mr Walt,

Your post as usual very precise and meaningful. As I go through my emotion, I'm actually quite a worrier and always concern what other people thinks of me. As for the fear of pain, i'm almost everyday consumed by it.I'm still having difficulties to brush aside the thoughts of my pain is all structural. Yup you are spot on, regarding stress level in Asian side. You have no idea.lol. I'm also in the middle of getting Steven Ozanich's book and slowly started my physical activities but always facing setbacks.

Hi Ines,

As I go deeper, I do somehow repress a lot of anger,rage and frustration. Mainly because in Asia,most of the parents already decide what their children need to become when they grow up. Hardly give us opportunity to try new things or what we like. Even regarding who I gonna spend my rest of my life is decided by parents. For me I would like to travel,see new people and try new food.God,I love food.lol. Even my job now although the pay is good but i feel awful and always thinking when can I resign.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi ali90,

By what you described I think you have enough evidence to know that you have TMS. Having your life planned out for you, working in a job you did not choose, having your spouse chosen for you, etc. although they are looking out for your best interest, if you are not happy, that definitely sounds enraging. Also, I have a feeling it is not acceptable to express any emotion correct?
    Are you relieved to know it is TMS? Have you heard of the Structured Educational Program on the tmswiki.org site? It's free and very helpful.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Warm Regards,
    Ines

6. ali90

ali90 New Member

Hi Ines,

Thanks for very encouraging and thoughtful reply.Yes,you are spot on. It will cause unnecessary conflict if someone tend to express their emotions in one way or another.Therefore,we always keep it to ourselves most of the time. On the other hand,before TMS pop up 4 years ago,I will release all the frustration,anger,rage etc by playing soccer.Soccer was my life. Due to my "herniated disc" doctor told me to stop playing high impact sports such as soccer.

Am I relieved to know what i have is TMS? Absolutely.I actually dont felt any happiness feeling since I've been diagnosed with herniated disc due to all horror story I read in Internet.But now things are changing in a good way.I now realize herniated disc not a death sentence and my confidence is growing. I hope one day I can concur TMS and return to my previous happy,adventure life. FYI, yes I know the SEP and following it with my heart.

Ines likes this.
  7. Ines

Ines Well known member

Good luck! Keep us posted : )