1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Allergies to Dogs

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MissShamrocks, Dec 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MissShamrocks

MissShamrocks Peer Supporter

Hi Everyone,

Allergies have been a part of my life since I was young. As a kid I had hay fever (which I eventually grew out of) oral allergy syndrome to certain fruits / veggies, etc which have come and gone, along with allergies to cats and dogs....however...over a span of 20 years I've had 4 dogs. Two were pound puppy mixes with different types of coats, and two long haired Dachshunds. All dogs that shed. Not uncontrollably but definite shedders. Not allergic to any of them. Over the years I would come in contact with some dogs that I had allergic reactions to their saliva. Was never a problem because they weren't my dogs, so I wasn't phased.

Last year I had an unrelated issue with my lungs. The Dr. did blood work to rule things out, including allergy testing. Sure enough, I tested positive for allergies to both dogs and cats. Fast forward to this past January. My last beloved Dachshund died. I was devastated. This dog was the love of my life. He had been by my side for the past 14 years and was my everything. This was also the first time in 20 years that I was dogless and alone. I started my search for a new dog two months after his death. I did some fostering and also tried adopting. The first foster dog I had no allergies to (March) but the most recent I was (Yesterday).

My goal was to adopt another LH Doxie because I absolutely love the breed and had never had allergies to them so never thought it would be a problem. In July I found a gorgeous Father & Son duo that were PERFECT. SO loveable and sweet. They really enjoyed cuddling which my other Doxies weren't all that into. If I was on the couch, these two were smothering me with love and I ate it up! But within 14 days, my arms broke out in a rash from them being on top of me all the time. I tried giving them baths just in case I was allergic to what they were previously groomed with but that didn't work. I had to return them and I was heartbroken. My depression worsened and had a rough few months after that along with COVID blues.

In the meantime I fostered a cat, which I had no reaction to and now a dog, which I had nasal symptoms with. It's making me absolutely crazy. There is no rhyme or reason anymore but I'm wondering if this is TMS related. Is it because I haven't thoroughly grieved the loss of my boy? I still cry over him. When I foster, I know I have to give them back and I'm okay with that, so to me, if this was TMS and it was only happening to the dogs I've actually tried to adopt then I would say 100%...your mind/body are rejecting these new dogs because you're just not emotionally ready (even though I feel like I am) but it's happened with fosters as well. I just don't get it. Would love your thoughts if this is something you've experienced. TIA!!

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I suggest you see an allergist. Allergies to cats and dogs is not TMS. I'm sure there is a psychological overlay but we can't dismiss that allergies to pets is not psychogenic. My father is a retired allergist and many of his patients had to give up their pets. Some people can get severe asthma. My husband almost died from his cat without realizing it was asthma from his girlfriend 's cat.

3. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

On top of allergy testing, maybe you can look for allergy friendly dogs with expert recommendations?

Lizzy likes this.
  4. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

Yeah, I agree with this one. Maybe you should try looking for it.

5. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

But finish testing first. Also don't worry about antibody numbers because I've gotten reactions to things with lower numbers and had no reactions to things with higher numbers. As long as it's not severe, you're good. Basically play it safe if it occurs in the throat/airway etc.