1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Allergic reaction to new cat

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Annette K., Jan 19, 2017.

1. Annette K.

Annette K. New Member

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing new symptoms which are so obviously caused by psychological reasons that I want to share it with you.

A few days ago my new cat moved in with me. I have always been crazy about cats and when I was diagnosed with an allergy twenty years ago I simply refused to accept it -and it worked! I never had any symptoms.

Now I am the owner of a Maine Coon and that is a new experience for me. He is extremely cute but also sensitive and he needs a lot of attention. Two days ago he got sick because everything was new to him and it was just a lot for him to process being in a new home. He got diarrhea and I had had no idea what that means when your cat has long hair...He is better now, thank God :)

So I had to take a few days off work to look after him. It feels like sudden and unexpected motherhood. The structure of my day is changing to integrate his needs and they usually have to be adressed before my own.

This morning while brushing his fur my nose started running and I got trouble breathing which feels quite unsettling. I tried to stay calm and read the allergy chapter in Dr. Sarnos book. I am sure that this is my inner child being jealous of the cat. God, that sounds ridicolous ;-)

I am trying to ignore the symptoms. They will pass. I mean, they must pass because I have already lost my heart to this cat!

Any thoughts out there?

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

What are your feeding your cat? I give mine food leftovers such as fish and she has stayed healthy for many many years.

3. Annette K.

Annette K. New Member

I gave him a different brand of food than he was used to. The vet told me to switch back to the old one and I am sure he`ll be fine now...

4. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

I read a book titled "nourishing traditions" which was about human nutrition. I was about what humans were meant to eat. Then I asked myself, what was the traditional diet of cats?

Ok. Sorry for going off-topic. I jumped in because I am very interested in diet and I also have a cat. I have no experience with allergies so I can't comment on that.

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I've had some experience with cats and they make great pets to come home to. I wish I could have one now but I'm travelling so much it would not be fair to the cat. For you I would recommend you continue viewing your symptoms as TMS, as allergies can be,and IMHO mostly are; (see the plastic rose/allergy experiment study). And nothing wrong with getting some meds for your symptoms, also IMHO for some short term relief until you and your cat make the adjustment. Do pets get TMS, absolutely, they don't take well to readjustments in their environment, but like humans after a couple of weeks they and their homeostasis will adjust to their new digs, especially if it's a kitten or a young cat. Hang in there.

[​IMG]

6. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

Hi tennis tom,

When you say animals can get tms, what would you suggest on this one?

My moms 4 year old Maltese dog is being treated for a bladder infection as we noticed blood. After 2 rounds of antibiotics, no improvement- still bleeding. Dog still acts normal and plays. Dog going in on Saturday to do X-ray to check if it's bladder stones.
    Here's why I think it's emotionally caused. My mom has a terrible crazy neighbor who complains about any dog in the neighborhood who makes a sound! He calls police repeatedly. The police can't stand the guy!
    The police go to the persons home to find the dog behaving and not barking. My mom has had numerous visits by police from this idiots complaints. They've never found her guilty of having barking dogs once. The neighbor is a flippin fruitcake! But this upsets my mom terribly to have the police at her door, even though they've never once scolded her or said her dogs are doing anything wrong. But It upsets her because the neighbor complains about her ( and the other neighbors with dogs). So she started putting barking collars on the dogs when they went outside to prevent them from making any sound to shut this idiot neighbor up. But the collars made the dogs very nervous and upset. They weren't doing anything wrong and didn't know why she was putting these things on them. So myself and all her other neighbors said to stop using the collars on them because they're not barking anyway! So she stopped. But she's still scared of the idiot neighbor complaining because they will bark when someone walks by for 10-15 seconds and then stop . ( seconds NOT minutes) and when they bark for a few seconds, the idiot neighbor will call the cops and lie and say they've been barking for a half hour.
    The whole thing is so stressful to my mom. The dogs feel the tension from her. She watches them the whole time they're outside and the Second they bark she yells at them to quickly come in. She yells too loud I think and scares them. I've now told her that. The poor dogs use to be able to stay in the fence and play. But since this fruitcake lying neighbor came into the picture, they live like prisoners in their own yard. My mom and the dogs do! It's so unfair!
    After several months of this anxiety is when the dog started this bladder problem! Now Tom as you mentioned dogs get TMS too really confirmed to me what I already felt that the dogs problems are emotionally caused!
    But what can we do to fix it!?
    I really would love some input. Maybe I should even make this it's own post!

Thanks!

Balsa11 likes this.
  7. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Maybe take Claritin daily just in case. Have good ventilation and air purifiers.