1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

All the Rage Film All the Rage Day 4!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Caroline Rumur, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Caroline Rumur

Caroline Rumur Well known member

Hey all! Thanks for doing a wonderful job spreading the word!! Keep up the good work! Here is the link again if you want to send it to some one and feel free to share this thread as well! http://bit.ly/atrkick

One of the reasons that Dr. Sarno is less known is because he had no interest in being a proselytizer, or a the media darling, that defied his own medical community. Instead, he wanted to quietly do his work, and chose to spread his message through his books rather than media appearances.

Like Dr. Sarno, All The Rage will be neither combative nor argumentative. It treats the medical community with the respect it deserves.

Here is a clip of Dr. Frances Sommer-Anderson speaking to this idea. She is one of the therapists who studied with Dr. Arlene Feinblatt, a close associate of Dr. Sarno from the early days of treating pain in a mind body way. Along with Dr. Eric Sherman, she wrote the book Pathways to Pain Reilef, which is one of the mind body books we are offering as a reward for backing the project.

Have a great Weekend!

Forest and North Star like this.
  2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

That clip is fabulous! I'm looking forward to reading her book. It's next on my TMS bookshelf.

Caroline Rumur likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeah, Dr. Sommer-Anderson is tremendous, and she has been a long time supporter of our nonprofit as well. When Alan Gordon flew to New York to meet with the various members of Dr. Sarno's team at the Rusk Institute, she was one of the four "original psychologists" that he was introduced to. After Arlene Feinblatt, she is the most senior, and she has a very impressive set of publications and accomplishments:
    http://www.francessommeranderson.com/

I hope you love her book as much as I did, @North Star. It's the only book written by a TMS psychologist that focuses completely on the psychology of TMS. Her coauthor, Dr. Eric Sherman, is another of the four "original psychologists."

I know her and Eric pretty well from having served on the board of the Psychophysiologic Disorders Association for several years with them. (They are actually very friendly and were one of the first people to insist that I call them by their first names!) She was the chair of the TMS conference at the New York Academy of Medicine, from where my avatar/profile picture is taken.

Within the TMS movement, there are those who really get the importance of having an independent nonprofit voice for what I like to call "peers:" people who have the condition and want to help others to recover from it. Others don't take us as seriously and feel that everything must be run by a practitioner (I don't know why). Fran is someone who really gets that and I have always appreciated her support. I think that that support comes across in the video.

North Star likes this.
  4. Caroline Rumur

Caroline Rumur Well known member

Great information Forest!

North Star likes this.
  5. North Star

Forest, I almost broke into a happy dance reading your post as I've already started her book. AND, I emailed her…she promptly replied. She is going to call sometime tomorrow. So anyway. Hearing your report, well, that's the happy dance inspiration. (I did refrain myself, btw. My family has enough reasons to commit me as is. haha)

I've already skipped around in the book before I settle into a careful read. I love her apparent empathy for clients. And yes, her warmth and care shines in that short clip…that's why I contacted her and moved her book to next on my list.

I am hopeful that her and Dr. Sherman's book will help me in my continued healing. Your endorsement is solid gold to me.

Happy NS

Forest and Caroline Rumur like this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I would love to hear how your phone conversation with her goes, if you feel inclined to share. I'm impressed that you are assertive enough to email an author. It has never crossed my mind to do that, for absolutely no good reason--just another one of those things my mind keeps me from doing.

Caroline Rumur and North Star like this.
  7. North Star

I will let you know, Ellen. And really…contacting authors is second nature to me anymore. I started doing that many years ago to send kudos to writers over an article or a book. Emails make it so easy. As a writer myself, I'm familiar with the self-doubt one feels when getting something published so that's part of why I started doing that. I've never not had an appreciative reply so it's always very rewarding to both sender and recipient. ;)

Ellen likes this.
  8. North Star

Ellen, I spoke with her and my suspicions were true: She is very easy to talk too. :) I'm really hoping I can finagle a way to have at least a few sessions with her because I think she'd be like a well-tuned laser at sussing out issues. (Of course, I know there's no magic wands but her credentials and experience are remarkable.)

We're going to think about this because $300 sessions is beyond our budget right now…especially with a kid in college and another headed that way. But, I can also easily argue that we have spent THOUSANDS of dollars in wasted treatment protocols over the years. (And then there was my trip to see Dr. Schubiner!)

I will see how the universe provides for this if it is meant to play a role in my healing. :)

Ellen likes this.
  9. Forest

Yes, I always felt very listened to and respected when talking with her. She is extremely sensitive and aware both of her own internal reactions and her client's reactions. I think that that is important because it is through understanding their own feelings that a therapist can come to understand the client's feelings.

If you are looking for a well-tuned laser, you might also consider contacting Arlene Feinblatt, though. Dr. Feinblatt, referred to by Eric Sherman in the introduction to Pathways to Pain Relief as "The Mother of All TMS Therapists," has more of an ISTDP approach, like Dr. Schubiner. There might be something in the name Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP) that appeals to you. In contrast, Fran is a psychoanalyst, and psychoanalysts aren't known for short treatments.

However, on page 114 of the book she writes,
    So, that is good news, right?

But, still... money...

Call me captain obvious, but maybe you could use the free and very cheap resources before using the very expensive ones. By reading her half of the book, you might get a clearer sense of whether her approach speaks to you. You can also check out this thread, where I describe some of the things that I learned from Fran:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/self-monitoring.2123/#post-11618

By the way, they don't update it often, but Fran and Eric have a Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pathwaystopainrelief

10. North Star

Forest, you just warm my heart. I so appreciate your words of wisdom! (And your captain obvious comment cracked me up.)

I have dug into her book and am hoping that can help me. My big issue is the persistent Achilles issues…I keep hitting a wall with it. It's so limiting so that's why I'm wondering if I need to reach for the big guns. I MUCH rather like the idea of SHORT TERM but man, I gotta tell you…doing one session of that with Dr. Schubiner was no walk in the park. BUT…I'm willing to do more of that - especially since I get twitchy with any ideas of long term naval gazing. :) And I also noticed an immediate reduction in tension in my shoulders/neck. I really am sick and tired of dealing with this bovine scattology.

I will look up Dr. Feinblatt. I love that description of her and her approach might be a better fit if I chose to move forward with their caliber.

I've also been considering trying massage. There's a local massage therapy school where I could try regular massage just on the trouble areas and see if that works while I continue to read and meditate. And fun. Have more fun. ;) Steve O, I think, said somewhere in the book that one of the docs said most health issues could be resolved with psychotherapy and massage.

Finally, Forest, Dr. Anderson spoke SO highly of you. As did I. Were your ears burning?

11. Forest

Aww, Northstar, that's so nice to hear! As always, your post put a smile on my face. My ears weren't ringing at all, but as a typical TMSer, I can be a bit hard on myself. Dr. Anderson has always been extremely supportive, though.

I hadn't know this, but I found out last night during our town meeting teleconference with Michael Galinsky, one of the directors of the film, that he was a patient of Dr. Feinblatt's in addition to being a patient of Dr. Sarno's. Unfortunately, on the day of his first appointment with Dr. Feinblatt, he couldn't get off of the floor, so he called her to cancel.

He asked her for one piece of advice and she said, "All I can tell you is be good to yourself." Michael continued, "That's taken me three years to understand. But I'm slowly beginning to understand what that means. And I think that that is a really big and important thing. It's a really hard thing to understand."

We haven't processed an MP3 yet, but here is the raw recording of the session:
    https://www.fuzemeeting.com/replay_meeting/48fb7aa8/6884222

Arlene and the rest of Dr. Sarno's core NYC psychologists come up between roughly 39:20 to 44:08 in this recording (we'll reorder some things for the MP3).

12. North Star

This is so great, Forest. I will look forward to hearing the recording. And I love that "one piece of advice". That is a tough one to get around the ole mind.

Thanks so much….once again. We here at the Wiki are forever indebted to you for your on-going labor of love.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Caroline Rumur and Forest like this.
  13. Forest

Awww... :) You folks are the ones who make it all worthwhile!

Caroline Rumur and North Star like this.