After 4 years I am back. Unfortunately. Teeth issues.

sepultura

New Member
I was going through hard TMJ stuff years ago as I gave myself an open bite wearing an ill fitting night guard.

I found out about Sarno and TMS and it helped. I ended up getting orthodontics because I wanted to close my bite. It mostly fixed my bite and my nervous system calmed. I became who I wanted to be again. Never looking near the health forums or even TMS stuff. I was out. I was doing so so well. I had a child. Bought a house. Got a good career. Best few years of my life.

My bite was never perfect after Invisalign but I didn’t care. It didn’t bother me. I barely thought about it. 2 weeks ago for some reason I got a dentist to grind down a few teeth to make the bite fit better. Why oh why did I do this.

I’m back in the pits. Freaking out. I don’t have TMJ pain. But my teeth are so uncomfortable and I’m fighting urges to grind them constantly. I am consumed. I am back on anti depressants and seeing a therapist tonight. What on earth. I feel like I’ve ruined my life.

Sorry for the vent.
 
As someone who’s gone through TMJ hell, this is a good wake up call to start detaching from physical things like your bite or teeth. Absolutely take care of your health and what not, but it’s clear here there’s a pattern of low self opinion regarding your teeth/mouth/face. My obsession with how off my bite was after a dislocation cemented my situation as chronic rather than something that could’ve healed in a month or two. Really that obsession was rooted in people making fun of my appearance as a kid, getting called “Bucky” because I had big buck teeth (still do but I like them now). My off bite was never the issue, neither was my fucked up joint.

This will pass, as already mentioned, you had a procedure done only 2 weeks ago. The body recovers when we get out of its way. You got work done in an area that our body naturally guards (the face) and in your case an area you’ve already dealt with chronic pain and all the obsession that goes along with that. You are just predisposed towards turning the issues chronic.

You absolutely can get through this but you need to chill and let go.

I personally think Dan Buglio is the best person for getting over fear related to symptoms.

Also go look up some brachycephalic dog breeds (pugs, French bulldogs, Boston terrier etc) see how utterly fucked up and deformed their mouths are, how misaligned their bites are. And yet they seldom have pain, why? Because they don’t have the shit and nonsense floating in their heads that we do.

Please have faith, you’ll get through this.
 
The fact that you’ve already recognized that your mind is at play here is, in itself, helping to diffuse things. Let the uncomfortable feelings or thought(s) be there without trying to fight or fix them, and keep going about your days and your normal routine.
 
As someone who’s gone through TMJ hell, this is a good wake up call to start detaching from physical things like your bite or teeth. Absolutely take care of your health and what not, but it’s clear here there’s a pattern of low self opinion regarding your teeth/mouth/face. My obsession with how off my bite was after a dislocation cemented my situation as chronic rather than something that could’ve healed in a month or two. Really that obsession was rooted in people making fun of my appearance as a kid, getting called “Bucky” because I had big buck teeth (still do but I like them now). My off bite was never the issue, neither was my fucked up joint.

This will pass, as already mentioned, you had a procedure done only 2 weeks ago. The body recovers when we get out of its way. You got work done in an area that our body naturally guards (the face) and in your case an area you’ve already dealt with chronic pain and all the obsession that goes along with that. You are just predisposed towards turning the issues chronic.

You absolutely can get through this but you need to chill and let go.

I personally think Dan Buglio is the best person for getting over fear related to symptoms.

Also go look up some brachycephalic dog breeds (pugs, French bulldogs, Boston terrier etc) see how utterly fucked up and deformed their mouths are, how misaligned their bites are. And yet they seldom have pain, why? Because they don’t have the shit and nonsense floating in their heads that we do.

Please have faith, you’ll get through this.
Thank you so much. Yes i am obsessing over the bite and how uncomfortable it is. I’m trying to make sure my teeth aren’t in contact which seems to feed the urge to check them.

Then I have horror stories I’ve read about this procedure ruining lives. It all feels a bit hopeless but I’m just praying my body adapts and it becomes second nature. Though the rumination I’m sure is not productive.
 
Last edited:
Thank you so much. Yes i am obsessing over the bite and how uncomfortable it is. I’m trying to make sure my teeth aren’t in contact which seems to feed the urge to check them.

Then I have horror stories I’ve read about this procedure ruining lives. It all feels a bit hopeless but I’m just praying my body adapts and it becomes second nature. Though the rum I’m sure is not productive.
absolutely get out of those spaces. all the issues mentioned here can ruin lives if we obsess about them. hobbies can ruin lives if they become addictions.

youre better off modifying the reactions and thoughts related to the symptoms than trying to get keep your teeth from touching, the latter just isnt possible. youre just reinforcing the problem.
 
In my experience, there's always a period of adjustment that your mind-body goes through when you have dental work done. The mouth is a sensitive area and as such even small changes can feel enormous... the last time I had a crown fitted it felt alien, but then after a while it felt like a normal part of me that I don't think about. This won't have a good chance of happening if you fixate on it and obsess about it because as @Rabscuttle says, it can become an addiction.
 
Last edited:
I am in the same boat, I have been told now that my deep bite might cause the problems I have with my teeth. Last month two had been pulled out, and yesterday another mortar. I still feel the pain is coming from the the tooth next to the operation wound, I never could say whether which tooth hurting. Even the DVT scans do not show anything problematic, though I go for a second opinion. I guess they are right that a deep bite can make problems for your teeth, some are then under enormous pressure. The deep bite is also aesthetically not flattering, though no one ever said anything about this to me.
For it is the anxiety that I have atypical odontalgia that spikes now and this anxiety amplifies the pain. Which sometimes switches places. So, in the end I know there is a strong TMS component. Not that these teeth were not diseased, they had to go. But the way I react to this is making the pain worse. And puts me into a constant fight and flight state. To gain the confidence that your body knows how to heal, that you nervous system is just doing its job, all that would change the situation and my perception of it tremendously. So, you are not alone, others have similar problems.
 
In my experience, there's always a period of adjustment that your mind-body goes through when you have dental work done. The mouth is a sensitive area and as such even small changes can feel enormous... the last time I had a crown fitted it felt alien, but then after a while it felt like a normal part of me that I don't think about. This won't have a good chance of happening if you fixate on it and obsess about it because as @Rabscuttle says, it can become an addiction.
Oh for sure! When I had a crown installed on my front, it felt thicker than my other front tooth and I thought I had a slight lisp. But the body adapts to change and I no longer notice any strangeness, and no lisp! I just let the weirdness stay for a couple weeks and forgot about it. This was over 10 years ago.
 
Back
Top